High Level Brake Light Replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladevane

My central brakelight suffered from a ring of algae round it so I removed it, cleaned it and put it back. Some months later I noticed a couple of the LEDs were not working so I searched for a replacement unit. The part number is 8334A113 and I found one at £277. I also searched eBay and found one for £12 - so guess which one I plumped for. The downside is the cheaper unit does not come with the stainless clips or sealing gasket included so a bit of surgery is required to transfer said items from the old to the new. New item fits perfectly and works so I consider a saving of +£260 well worth the trouble.

Very well done!

I must admit I would've done the same ;)

I don't suppose you could post some pics and/or instructions, please? I'm sure some other members (myself included :D ) may have to do this. I've seen a ring of green algae around the lower rear light clusters and have plans on doing this when it warms up, so will probably include the higher brake light.

Cheers

Bloggsy

I've taken my high level brake light and rear lights off several times to clean out the algae from the edges (clearly a design fault!) and it's very difficult to clean out. No failed LED's yet though. Getting the high level brake light out is very fiddly if you can't remember how to do it, which I'm not sure I can - I meant to make a note of certain aspects of this procedure (especially getting the f*!!!!!g thing back in again) but I have a feeling that I forgot. Rear lights not so hard though.

I ended up using a small, fine artists 'fan' bristle brush with hot water and detergant, and also a high pressure hosepipe to blow the algae out. I blocked the bulb holes up carefully so no water got inside the lamp units. Very difficult to do and it doesn't last. I squirted some silicone spray into the gap to try and prevent re-growth.

Algae growth is not a great look for me to cope with on my otherwise immaculate (white) PHEV. Especially as I work in a Ford valeting dept. I've noticed a similar problem on the high level light of some earlier Honda CRV's which appear to use the same part.

Getting the light unit out is tricky but easier once you see how its fixed in. The 3 spring clips are on the lower part of the unit so you need to push it downwards to compress the spring clips before prising the unit away from the bodywork at the top. Once the 3 ramps are clear of the body the unit comes away cleanly.

I removed the old gasket by sliding a scalpel under it and peeling it away from the light unit body. Fortunately there was enough "stick" left to fix it back onto the new unit. I had to destroy the old plastic unit to remove the spring clips though.

The photo shows the gasket and clips in place on a new unit compared to a bare unit.

I got in touch with the sellers of the 2 units I purchased and complained that their advertisement photos showed clips and gasket included. They are sending out replacement units but I am not hopeful they will come with clips and gasket. I might end up with a lifetime supply of high level brake light units!

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 49
Back