Electric range of 2017 Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattaris01

I bought a second hand 2017 Outlander PHEV yesterday and charged it overnight for 12 hours.

I was under the impression that the vehicle would drive approximately 30 miles on one charge. The range on the dash display only says 18 miles after a full charge.

Does this mean the battery is faulty, not performing at its full potential, or is it normal?

The 'guessometer' tries to predict the range you will achieve depending on the ambient temperature, the way the car was most recently driven, and the accessories that are currently drawing power.

If it is currently winter, you're running the heater (and air-conditioner to stop the windows from fogging up) and driving like a boy-racer, then 18 miles could be correct.

Usually it takes the guessometer about a week to adapt to someone's driving style.

If you share the driving with someone who likes to drag-race from the traffic lights, it will never reflect your driving style.

:D

It will also reflect the previous driving pattern - so if you bought it "yesterday" the range will still be defined by the way it was driven before you owned it.

Hi, brand new here! I got my Outlander 2017 PHEV yesterday.

I too was mortified when I got up this morning after a full nights charge to only show 11 miles battery...

Is 11 miles possibly the result of the weather and the previous owners driving style? Or should I be contacting the dealer over the battery condition?

It is cold at the moment. But I have 7 days grace with the vehicle so if there is something wrong I can return it.

Thanks in advance

The guessometer is not accurate to put it politely, but just an estimate based on past usage. To know the real range in your hands, just drive it.

Hi, I’m interested to know how this worked out for the 2 guys having this issue? I too have just bought a 2017 Outlander and after a full charge it’s showing 12-14 miles. I realise this isn’t an accurate measurement but the first day it did actually only give me about 12 miles on full electric, driving in ECO mode, being light on the accelerator and without A/C or any big power draw. I’ve charged it again last night and the range said 14 miles this morning. I’ve driven the 3.5 miles to work and it’s now at 10 miles range so I’m not expecting a huge difference today.
This can’t be right, right? I live in Scotland so it’s cold in Feb but stil +2/3 Celsius at the moment.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Not very high, but just possible at this temperature, especially if it is a hilly area. What did the battery condition report say when you bought the car?

jaapv said:
Not very high, but just possible at this temperature, especially if it is a hilly area. What did the battery condition report say when you bought the car?

Ah, and therein lies my rookie error. I haven’t seen a battery report for it, maybe that’s what I get for not buying from a Mitsubishi dealer but I didn’t think to ask for one. It’s still under warranty, both manufacturers and from the garage, should I put it in for a health check?

One of the problems with looking at range and ambient temperature, as above, is that after a night of lower temperatures (especially if parked in the open) the battery will remain well below air temperature for several hours - and "wind chill" when driving is unlikely to help. It is the battery temperature that defines range not ambient.

So if air temp is 2/3, as above, the battery is likely to be still below freezing. :idea:

BigWorm said:
jaapv said:

Ah, and therein lies my rookie error. I haven’t seen a battery report for it, maybe that’s what I get for not buying from a Mitsubishi dealer but I didn’t think to ask for one. It’s still under warranty, both manufacturers and from the garage, should I put it in for a health check?
Over here I would not hesitate to do so. In the UK, I understand, dealers sometimes behave quite strangely over such requests, asking outrageous prices or refusing altogether using silly excuses. You'd have to find a competent dealer.

Thank you, advice much appreciated. I’m going to run it for a week or so, let it discharge and charge fully a few times to get a better idea of what mileage I’m getting. Then at least I’ll have something to question the dealer on, other than vaguely saying “I don’t think this is quite right”.
Thanks again

greendwarf said:
- and "wind chill" when driving is unlikely to help. It is the battery temperature that defines range not ambient.

So if air temp is 2/3, as above, the battery is likely to be still below freezing. :idea:

Wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects with no water to evaporate

greendwarf said:
Really? I wonder why your computer bothers with a fan then. :lol:

Yep, really. My computer bothers with a fan in order to get the CPU temp. closer to the ambient one. Not to magically declare the CPU temp. 10 degree below surrounding air temp.

The wind "chill" will only change the rate - speed of heat exchange, but won't bring the temperature lower than the actual, ambient one.

The same apply for inanimate objects and humidity.

greendwarf said:
But it will dissipate any heat build up in the battery that might increase the range

It will, but that is not wind chill, just forced air cooling. In your example of 2 degree C ambient, no amount of wind can reduce the battery temperature below that. It can only make it approach that.

This is just hair splitting as the term is merely about perception. I am sorry if I have upset any pedants :lol:

greendwarf said:
One of the problems with looking at range and ambient temperature, as above, is that after a night of lower temperatures (especially if parked in the open) the battery will remain well below air temperature for several hours - and "wind chill" when driving is unlikely to help. It is the battery temperature that defines range not ambient.

It is not just hair splitting, because in the scenario you are describing the "wind chill" will actually help to rise and equalize the battery temperature to the ambient, not the other way around.

littlescrote said:
greendwarf said:
- and "wind chill" when driving is unlikely to help. It is the battery temperature that defines range not ambient.

Wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects with no water to evaporate
Except when the object is wet. The increased evaporation will chill below ambient temperature.

Back