Charging at public stations issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benhollister

Hi

I’m in South Australia.

We have a 2017 MY18 Exceed. It charges fine at home on 240V and I’ve charged it at a ChargeFox pay station on CHAdeMO. However Type2 to Type 1 charge at a ChargeFox station had unit saying it was connected but car saying it wasn’t and no charge delivered, and attaching to new Jolt CHAdeMO it connects the disconnects repeatedly and advises EV system service.

Is this a common issue, just a problem with some public chargers, or is the system about to implode? I’m taking it to the dealer for a check anyway, but interested to know others experience.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ben

When I first got mine 6 years ago I tried quite a few different charging points (until the novelty wore off :lol: ) I was only successful about 50% of the time. I concluded that the number of users was so low that faults were not reported or fixed promptly - some never. :eek:

However, more recently I have had only one failure - so I assume that with more users, better equipment and consumer pressure the maintenance is more effective.

I get the impression that EV usage is still relatively low in Australia , so perhaps you haven't yet got to the customer service tipping point. If you can charge successfully elsewhere, the problem is almost certainly with the chargers not your car.

For the type 2 station it could be your cable - I have a charging cable that seems to have failed, as I can charge fine at the same stations with a different cable. With the Jolt station it's possible it just wasn't commissioned yet, as these are very new.

I had the same issue twice there in Spain with the same outlander model 2018.
After the warning Ev service required the car was blocked.
I had to call the service to unblock the car. Therefore I won’t charge with Chademo unless I know ho to fix by my self this unpleasant blockage

Anecdotally, it may be possible to recover from a failed DC charge by disconnecting the Aux (12V) battery for 10 minutes.

Hi All, this is regarding 2017 outlander PHEV

Wanted to share response to an issue from a dealer

Ive been having issues for around a year or so when using CHAdeMO charging stations, the vehicle throws a fault code during the charge and it goes into limp mode. and then needs to be reset.

after numerous attempts to find this issue with the dealer they finally told me the PHEVs with CHAdeMO charging sockets can no longer us CHAdeMO chargers as the PP/CP Protocol has changed on the chargers, as a result fast charging via CHAdeMO is now obsolete on the vehicle.

Please let me know if any one else has encountered this issue.

Hi All, this is regarding 2017 outlander PHEV

Wanted to share response to an issue from a dealer

Ive been having issues for around a year or so when using CHAdeMO charging stations, the vehicle throws a fault code during the charge and it goes into limp mode. and then needs to be reset.

after numerous attempts to find this issue with the dealer they finally told me the PHEVs with CHAdeMO charging sockets can no longer us CHAdeMO chargers as the PP/CP Protocol has changed on the chargers, as a result fast charging via CHAdeMO is now obsolete on the vehicle.

Please let me know if any one else has encountered this issue.

Is this true?
How can the potocol change I Ask.

Sounds like bullshit to me. If there were indeed a change in the protocol then a lot of other EVs with CHAdeMO ports would have the same problem. It looks more like a bug in Mitsubishi's CHAdeMO implementation but they don't want to acknowledge it.

I agree it sounds like BS. Since only Nissans and Mitsubishis are about the only cars that use the older Chademo system I doubt they would change protocol. When I used Chademo in the past when free or very cheap (such as at IKEA and some tourist spots) I did get occasional issues. I found that there were particular chargers the car did not get on with but when I moved to the next door charger all was fine.

I have found through bitter experience that the newer higher capacity multi-socket chargers (those over 200kw) - that still provide a Chademo connector, simply dont work well with the old Mitsu implementation on our 2017 PHEV, the few times I have been in a rush, or been lured in by free vending, and been caught out (usually its the Osprey ones here in the UK - PodPoint in LIDL seem to work fine, but they are older max 50-60kw) - each time, the car starts charging, then stops, and then goes into limp mode and the "service EV system" error appears, which I still havent worked out how to reset without taking it to a garage or dealer. - using an OBD adapter/software and clearing the error doesnt do it.

Back