Check engine lite code p0a45

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger20

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and it's my first post. I'm really hoping you guys can help me with something. So I was driving yesterday and I felt a jerk at the rear of the car or maby more like a shudder. I didn't think of it because it was snowing so I thought it was just the awd system kicking in. Well it happened today and with it I got a check engine light and check ev system. Car drives fine now but I'm afraid to drive it because both light is on and if I try to reset it the lights turn on again right away. I called the dealership and the guys said his tech thinks it's the transmission. Anyone ever run into this problem before?? Need some advice here and thank you in advance!

1. Take it to a reputable Mitsubishi dealer.
2. Check to make sure that it doesn't have miss-matched tyres.

There have been posts here about the problems caused by having different tyres on the same axle, and the description of your problem sounds familiar.

The car's systems expect the tyres to EXACTLY match, so a different tread pattern, or amount of tread, or size of tyre can all cause the car's systems to panic.

Some cars seem to be sensitive to tyre sizes, but most are much less picky. I had to replace all 4 tyres a year ago. Back in November I got an irreparable puncture in one tyre after 8,000 miles. I got a new one and have had no problems in 3,500 miles.

There are occasional issues with a rear motor mount failing on higher mileage cars and causing noises at the rear, but it would be unlikely to cause a warning light...

And of course the car has a transmission - defined as all the mechanical components that *transmit* power from the energy source to the wheels.

Google says:

"P0A45 OBD-II: Drive Motor "B" Position Sensor Circuit
The hybrid control module uses sensors to determine the position of the hybrid motor's internal components. If the hybrid control module determines there is a fault in the position sensor, the engine control module will set code P0A45."

Mitsubishi calls it a resolver malfunction. It tells the electronics the position and speed of the motor.

You might need a new rear motor, but hopefully it will just be a bad connector somewhere.

I am having the exact same problem and would love to know what Ranger20's conclusion was :D But I see he hasn't logged in since March so it might be a long shot.

Back