Not automatically switching from battery to engine

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garethoreilly97

I have the 2017 outlander PHEV a month and a half now. I remember when I first test drove the car, when I went over a speed the car automatically switched to engine power. It doesn’t seem to do this now. It does all the motorway driving in electric mode unless I press the save button.

Should it automatically switch or what’s the best way to manage this? Thanks

At what speed you went over so the car automatically switched to engine power?
If battery condition is good and ambient temperature is normal the vehicle can keep going on el. power up to 135km/h. and it will do it unless you decide not to.

I suspect that on your test drive the battery level was low, hence it did that.

You can't force the engine on as such in that way, but using either Save or Charge whilst at high speed will result in the engine being used to either maintain charge level, or attempt to increase it.

I find the OP rather odd - ALL the motorway driving in EV?

Even if starting with a full battery and from near a motorway you can only get about 15 minutes max driving at normal motorway speeds!

greendwarf said:
I find the OP rather odd - ALL the motorway driving in EV?

Even if starting with a full battery and from near a motorway you can only get about 15 minutes max driving at normal motorway speeds!
And what is the problem with driving in EV on the motorway? Especially if the commute is in to the battery range which the vehicle do not "know".
I find it rather natural if the vehicle is programmed to use the most economical possible mode.

Last June when we first brought the Outlander we were going through a steep learning curve we found at 50 mph mainly using the M6 motorway approximately 30miles, raising the speed to 55 mph approximately 28 miles and 60mph nearer 26 miles. We don't drive at 70mph.

Back