Has anybody converted a PHEV in to a fully BEV?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leejones781

As the title says has anybody heard of anyone that has replaced the batteries with higher capacity batteries for a full BEV retrofit? I'm quite fond of the Outlander and would really like a BEV version, is it feasible or worth the cost?

Anything is possible, I guess, but I'd research the cost of batteries first - plus the costs of conversion - plus the hassle of getting the car re-registered after a structural change. Probably more rational to buy a couple of Teslas.

Its not only the cost of the batteries and changing out a lot of the electronics but you would have to redesign and modify the suspension due to the change in weight distribution - which would certainly mean that insurance would be almost impossible to obtain for normal road use. A better route might be adding extra battery capacity perhaps under the boot floor and on the roof or replacing the fuel tank with a much smaller one to provide extra space..

greendwarf said:
Its not only the cost of the batteries and changing out a lot of the electronics but you would have to redesign and modify the suspension due to the change in weight distribution - which would certainly mean that insurance would be almost impossible to obtain for normal road use. A better route might be adding extra battery capacity perhaps under the boot floor and on the roof or replacing the fuel tank with a much smaller one to provide extra space..
Extra battery capacity on the roof is a nonsense. Cables, rising the center of gravity.
Replacing the ICE with an battery pack wont change the weight distribution so much, certainly wont call for a suspension redesign and modification.

Really - you take out the engine and it doesn't change the weight distribution?

Also the roof rack is designed to take quite a lot of weight (without changing weight distribution :lol: ) - I don't know the figures off hand, but if you have solved the other problems, it is "free" space for extra batteries.

Yep really, You don't simply take out the engine. I have said replace it with battery pack.
Changing a bit the wight distribution between front and back axle is not so big of a deal. What is happening when you fully load the trunk of your car? Do you need suspension redesign?

The roof rack is designed to take quite a lot of weight (without changing weight distribution :lol:)
Are you laughing at yourself?

Make a sudden avoiding obstacle maneuver or sharp turn with significantly raised center of gravity and you will find an permanent parking spot.
tenor.gif

There's a few companies that'll do conversions to electric. Not seen any info on people starting with a phev but as both petrol & diesel can be converted, it shouldn't be any more difficult

Google ECC or www.newelectric.nl/automotive/

They've got indicative pricing on their site, it will be expensive

Unfortunately kpetrov's video clip adds nothing to the discussion as there is no indication this is a result of a raised centre of gravity. Cars are designed to be able to carry a certain amount of weight on the roof without causing handling problems - otherwise Volvos would fail the "elk" test. So long as you stay within that limit, mounting extra capacity there should be perfectly safe without sacrificing interior space.

I would suggest that the alternative of swapping the engine mass for extra batteries in a position directly over the steering wheels is more likely to cause the sort of handling problems illustrated. Manufacturers spend a lot of time calculating and testing to get this right, so your insurance company is unlikely to believe you have the same knowledge to do this safely.

Like someone said before anything is feasible, especially if you have the know how and the skills.
People are building their own el. vehicles for decades.

Found these chaps in Ireland https://rangetherapy.org/ and they are extending rage with 22Kw packs and doing all the suspension works etc

Obviously, no one has converted so far. However, battery capacity may be multifold from today's capacity so that a replacement may make sense. Doubling the capacity would lead to assumed 95% EV driving considering my driving situation. Long distances would remain fueld though.

Giving a few years, I think, would allow for a swap.

Back