Battery only 20km

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paolodacipro

Disappointed: My 2014 model does only 20km (or 12,5 miles) with battery, with a/c on...don’t think this is normal. What would be a normal distance should go? Car has 100k km (60k miles) should I make a claim to mitsubishi for battery replacement under warranty? Thanks all! :cry:

We may need to make a sticky topic on this one.

Range is affected by:
1. Temperature (battery doesn't work as well when cold)
2. How much load the car is hauling (roof boxes and trailers make a big difference)
3. How the car is driven (drive like a boy-racer and the range plummets, similarly speeds over 60 mph use the battery up fast).
4. How much load is on the electrical system (heater, air-con etc.)
5. Other mechanical issues (battery health, sticking brake caliper, etc.)

A number of owners have found sticking brakes, so that's well worth checking for.
Typically, you would be able to tell that one or more wheels are hot on return from a drive.

3. seems to cause a lot more problems than I would have guessed.

As Andy says, check your brakes.
I had a caliper sticking, after it was replaced my range increased by about 25-30%.
Unfortunately, depending on how you drive it, brakes seem to be a big issue with this vehicle.
The dealer told me to use the brakes more and even do two or three 'emergency' style braking if I had left the car standing for a while.
I was told by them that my pads were worn by 40% and I had only done about 400 miles on them :shock:

Oh dear - I'm afraid the other answers have failed to point out the bleedin' obvious, that the a/c cuts range by about half - especially that predicted by the "guessometer" !

So when you say you only get 20km per charge, is that actual or predicted? If the latter, then turn off the a/c and you should see a figure around 40km. BTW my 2014 has a range of up to 24 miles.

NB. The "guessometer" is pessimistic when the a/c is on. So, even with a predicted range of 20km you should get more actual distance than that.

All of the mentioned factors should be visible in the reported average kWh usage per 100km (or miles, not sure what your car reports). If I drive really carefully, with 60km/h max and light foot, I see values around 19kWh/100km. Highway driving with 80-90km/h usually shows up to 25kWh/100km. This is with AC turned off and translates to at most ~33km on full charge.

Looking at those numbers you can get an estimate on the battery capacity. Knowing that the car will use at most ~70% of the capacity for pure EV driving, calculate C = kWh_avg*distance on EV / 0.7. The original battery capacity is 12kWh.

One more issue... If your driving slowly due to traffic or whatever, you are spending more time going nowhere, but the HVAC is working full time. Ergo, reduced mpg.

Back