Factory charger fault

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodprice

My new phev (new last july) has a fault with the charger where the fault light goes solid red and won't charge.
Sometimes it's fine until I plug it in and then the fault light triggers, but sometimes it just comes on as soon as I turn it on without being connected to the car at all.

I have been through this cycle once before and took it to the dealers service station but when I took it in it was working fine for them because it is a sometime problem. I tried explaining the issue but he said that the light blinks not goes solid, but mine is definitely a solid red fault light. I'm going through another phase of it again and taking in back to the dealer in the Hope's that they'll just give me a new charger as I'm assuming there is something wrong with it seeing as it sometimes triggers without being plugged in.

Has anyone run into this before and have any idea of what could cause it?

Damaged wires at the point where the cable enters the charger box has been discussed here.

Mitsubishi recommend that the charger is suspended via the provided string, rather than allowing it to be hung from the power cable.

Others have reported that it is difficult to get this fixed under warranty as Mitsubishi regard it as 'cable abuse' by the customer.

I must admit that mine was left on 24/7 when we used it to charge the car. The plug and brick were inside the garage with just the charging part of the cable poking out. We did stop when I noticed the the plug was warm in direct sunshine in the summer (NSS!) but it still seems to charge fine occasionally some 2½ years later

Hi there,

My fault light was flashing and my charger would not charge. I corrected it by doing the following:

Do this at your own risk.

Unplug the charger.
Remove the back cover.
Locate the bus bar on the side of the outlet power cable not the cable that you plug into your phev.
Remove the green wire coming from the outlet plug cable by removing it's screw from the bus bar.
Remove the screw from the other green cable next to it.
Move the green cable coming from the outlet plug side and place it on top of the other green cable.
Screw both green cables together by screwing both cables down to the bus bar.
Put back the remaining screw into the now unused bus slot.

This solved the problem for me. Apparently the bus bar is prone to failure. This process combines the ground cables bypassing the bus bar.

I hope this helps other phev owners.

Sincerely Robert

Back