Phev 2014 suspension gator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperysam

Hi All,

I have just changed the front pads on my phev and noticed the suspension gators are split on both sides hanging. Is this a know problem?

Car was only in mitsubishi 1 week ago, they found a few issues but they did not mention this.

Can these be replaced or is it new suspension?

Sam

They can be replaced after stripping off the spring.

They are normally not bothered with as do not cause a concern, but i have seen them hang down on some cars and unluckily get stuck down the side of the oil seal and cause loss of fluid and damping.

So now i always trim them up if there are any bits hanging and report to customer that they need replacing

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So would you recommend getting them replaced. Would dirt and grit get into the seals?

Sam

They are really only a dust cover, secured at the top, and as you go over bumps as the damper extends the shfat will be exposed to the elements anyway.

Its just the loose bits that cause concern

I've just noiced that mine too have done this recently. My PHEV has only done 32,000 miles from new. Poor quality rubber/plastic - too thin perhaps. They weren't like this last November when I put my winter wheel 'n' tyres on. I don't know if perhaps jet wash usage over the winter may have accelerated the deterioration of the rubber. I work in a garage and do use a big, powerful 'professional' use only jet wash. But I'm very careful with it as I'm aware of the damage that can be caused ie, air-con condensor, tyre, rubber body trim and even paint damage. Doesn't look like it would be very easy to replace the gators though...

I've just noiced that mine too have done this recently. My PHEV has only done 32,000 miles from new. Poor quality rubber/plastic - too thin perhaps. They weren't like this last November when I put my winter wheel 'n' tyres on. I don't know if perhaps jet wash usage over the winter may have accelerated the deterioration of the rubber. I work in a garage and do use a big, powerful 'professional' use only jet wash. But I'm very careful with it as I'm aware of the damage that can be caused ie, air-con condensor, tyre, rubber body trim and even paint damage. Doesn't look like it would be very easy to replace the gators though... I'm guessing this isn't an MoT failure?

So now there are problems with crocs in Scotland - I suppose that's global warming for you :cool: :lol:

See my post on this topic in another thread, https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5372#p57474
They are perhaps better in aftermarket parts and certainly cheaper. Glad I did mine as much for the fresh rubber above the spring as the dust gaitor around the strut. If you are in warranty inspect these now and try to get MMC to replace as they are clearly a low quality component. If you are really cheeky ask them to put on German aftermarket parts !

greendwarf said:
So now there are problems with crocs in Scotland - I suppose that's global warming for you :cool: :lol:

Although there are differences between crocs and 'gators, they're nowhere near as different as gaiters. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Mmm, yes I see. Well spelling has never been my strong point. I worked in journalism for 20 years too! Although we fortunately had sub-editors to correct any spelling problems.

We do have to contend with many types of wildlife here in rural Scotland but no alligators as yet. I'm more worried about the Pine Martens chewing anything orange underneath the PHEV or being savaged by a Haggis.

Pine Martens are a major problem for car electrics in Germany. When we went to live over there in the early 2000s people kept talking about and we were wondering what the hell they were going on about, but it's a real problem and you can get sprays, electronic widgets and all sorts.

Back