SUB-BMU replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattr76

Has anyone had to have the SUB-BMU replaced in their Outlander? My 2020 had an "EV system service required" issue which I discussed in a separate thread, and the resolution was to replace the SUB-BMU. I am obviously concerned that a critical part should fail so early, and not sure if the part was indeed faulty or its failure is an indication of a problem elsewhere (for example faulty wiring). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if replacement is a "permanent fix" or a sign of more trouble down the road. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Frankly over the 7 years of using this forum, I don't remember this ever being mentioned before.

In my experience, electronic components tend to either fail early (like yours) or last for ever - so I think this was just an unfortunate one-off

I posted the same issue as you with my 2020 back in March. That time it was at the dealership for 6 days and I was told the issue was related to the 12v battery not being charged because I didn't drive the car enough. On 4/22/21 the issue happened again. It was towed to the dealership and I literally just got the car back on 7/9/21. The diagnosis was "replace PTC heater EV". I have zero confidence that this is an actual fix for the issue or that Mitsubishi has any idea what is wrong. I'm scared to drive the car and it's now sitting in the garage.

Never use that dealership again. "Not driven enough" is utter BS. The 12V battery gets recharged from the drive battery once a day. Find a dealer whose knowledge extends beyond repairing Donkey carts.

Correct me I'm wrong, but the 12v battery only gets charged every day from the drive battery if the wifi connection is active. Honestly, I'm not sure of the details on this ... and I have no idea what wifi has to do with charging the 12v battery.

Yes the 12V battery gets topped at 2pm every day, if the Wifi module is configured (even if not actively connected to your phone). This is because the Wifi module drains a bit of current constantly from the 12V battery, so the car charges it a bit every day to compensate and be sure it's not fully drained.

Which means that if you have a Gx3h the 12v doesn't get charged because it doesn't have the wifi module!

Having said that, I have no problems with mine despite very little use since Xmas.

Back