Granny cable plug check

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThudnBlundr

The 3-pin plug on our charger cable has started getting hot while charging; it's not meltingly so or too hot to handle, but it's warmer than I'd like. We only use it occasionally as we usually use our untethered chargepoint and cable. I understand why this is likely to be happening, but what can I actually do about it? The plug is moulded on and the only user-serviceable part is the fuse holder. I've removed that and tried to clean the contacts inside the plug as well as the connections on the fuse itself. Is there anything else I can do? Or do I need to chop it off and replace it with a decent plug of my own?

Did you have a look at the socket you are plugging into? If possible try to use another socket at see if you have the same problem. If not it may be time to change the socket.

What condition are the pins, fuse and fuse clips in?
The metal should be bright and shiny. The pins can be cleaned with braso or a fine abrasive paper. If th fuse caps look dull put a new fuse in. Make sure it is from reptable supplier, there are a lot of fake out there.
If the fuse clips in the plug look tarnished or overheated you really need a new plug as they are normally plated so abrasive cleaning win't help.

Everything looks fine. I did clean the connections (end-caps) of the fuse and the wriggly spring clips in the plug with fine emery paper and cleaned everything off afterwards. The problem is that once it's warm enough to feel the heat, it's general rather than localised. I suppose I could buy or rent a "pointable" thermometer or IR camera but it seem overkill for a such a simple piece of kit.

If it is just warm, it is probably OK. If it starts to get hot that's an issue. If it is uconfortable to hold on to then it needs to be changed.

In 7 years I have rarely touched the plug whilst charging overnight, so don't know if mine ever gets hot but I did recently and it was just warm. :)

Well, if you are pumping in 12kwh over 5,5 hours then than is similar as running a 2kw heater. In my experience electric heater plugs also get "warm". Is that a useful comparison for you?

The heating in the plug is caused by resistance. If the connections were perfect, it would generate heat only from the internal wiring. If the connections are terrible, it would generate loads of heat at the joints and would melt/catch fire. I want to move mine closer to the former as it feels too close to the latter. Comparing one load to another doesn't really move things on

Back