4-way valve and heating problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickFoz

Hi, i have slight warmth when pre-heating, and nothing when driving fast. I’ve cleaned the in-line filter and flushed the heater core. I think my 4-way valve is stuck or jammed, and I’d like to try to unjam it or remove the thermostat. Does the coolant system have to be fully drained? Has anyone repaired a 4-way valve successfully and is this something an amateur can do? Thanks.

NickFoz said:
Hi, i have slight warmth when pre-heating, and nothing when driving fast. I’ve cleaned the in-line filter and flushed the heater core. I think my 4-way valve is stuck or jammed, and I’d like to try to unjam it or remove the thermostat. Does the coolant system have to be fully drained? Has anyone repaired a 4-way valve successfully and is this something an amateur can do? Thanks.
Hi NickFoz,

Seeing as no one else has replied to you (I don't frequent the forum as much as I used to because of my business commitments in a strange new world ;) ) I will try to help.

Now as a engineer and if I had the time to chase down this sort of thing I would still probably get Mitsubishi involved. Why ? Because I don't have access to a MUTT-III (Mitsubishi's control and diagnostic program ) which makes tracking down these sorts of problems much easier I think. With a MUTT-III I would be very surprised if they can't override the 4 way valve to check on it's operation.

Hell you may only have some corrupt code on your PHEV.

Regards Trex.

PS I think there are probably illegal copies of the MUTT-III program out there in the big wide world ;)

Hi Trex, given the lack of enthusiastic replies, I think you’re right - time to get Mitsubishi involved. Cheers, Nick

Hi!

"I think my 4-way valve is stuck or jammed"

It's very unlikely

"try to unjam it or remove the thermostat"

You can disassemble it. It's very easy. Then check it in the boil. Removing thermostat is not so easy. You will need to remove 40way valve by connecting 4 pipes into 2 pipes. It's a bad idea.

"Does the coolant system have to be fully drained"

No. Just pinch the pipes.

But

Take a look at the electric pump. Is looks like it damaged or dosent works.

Back