PHEV Battery Replacement under warranty

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secretsenor

Hi There,

Forum and PHEV noob alert!

I am considering buying a 2014 Outlander with 145K on the clocks and a battery that only charges to 20ah (or 50% of original capacity)

I have browsed the forum and watched the videos on the BMU reset.

I note that in Australia there has been some excellent consumer action taken on this subject - and there maybe a possibility of a battery replacement based on the statements made by mitsubishi re battery degredation.

Is there a contact person in mitsubishi australia I can talk to, to determine if I'd be eligible for a replacement through a local dealer (I'm in Tasmania )

Im guessing there's a post somewhere that I haven't found, that outlines the broad general process... If this is secret squirrel stuff - or not for forum discussion - you can always PM me.

Thanks brothers and sisters!

That is a complicated legal situation. One could argue that you bought the car whilst aware of the low SOC, thus accepted the situation.
In your place I would insist that the selling party made the guarantee claim.
A BMU reset is fine, but it will not alter the basic health of the battery. It will only allow the car to use a higher percentage of the capacity for a while, which is not really a good thing for the longevity of the battery. If there are some cells broken, they will not be repaired that way.

I had thought the same thing.

I suppose I was wondering if there might be a more universal approach from Mitsubishi given the reputations risk, and low number of my14.5 phevs out there.

The warranty normally travels with the car, so a new owner can claim irrespective of the price paid and/or knowledge of fault. However, AFAIK, the Australian replacements arose out of foolish marketing claims by the local Mitsu operation and would only benefit the original purchaser - similar to the VW emissions scandal. But good luck, anyway. ;)

Back