Outlander Shutdown and won't start. Need to be jump started

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3kn1cs

So, I've got an 2018 Outlander PHEV in Quebec last week to replace an old Jetta that wouldn't start most of the time...

I've got it 7 days ago, and I've already jump started it twice. Is there a known problem with the PHEV, am I doing something wrong, the 12V battery is dead, or they sold me a defective unit?
First, the remote application is SHIT so I can't really rely on that to warm up the vehicle, so I go outside, leave my keys in the car and press the start button. Everything look fine, I can gear the gas motor running.
I return to the PHEV 10 -15 min after, to see that it's not warm, lights are blinking, and the start button will not respond.
If I long press the Start Button, some accessories will come online, but that's it. It's like a dead car now until, I boost it up.
It had a full EV Battery charge, had no warning on the dashboard.

The first time, It was plug in when I've started the car... somewhere, I've read that the 12V is not charging when the car is plug in...
The second time, I've unplugged the car, and after starting it, I put it in CHARGE mode to keep the Gas motor running. I was suspecting that the Gas motor was turning off and on, draining the 12V battery.

So, yeah... today my old Jetta started with no problem, but the PHEV was only taking place in my driveway.

Anyone have recommendation how I should address this problem? THANKS

Sounds like you're not 'Starting' the vehicle but putting into Acc mode and just running the blower until you flatten the battery. You have to properly press the brake pedal and press Start and make sure the green READY light is on the dash for the drive battery to be powering things, otherwise it's just the very small Aux battery which will not last long.

The App is actually fine for regular use for pre-heat if setup correctly. I and others, use it regularly for that and since the latest version was released a couple of years ago which seems to handle the wifi/mobile data source much better, it works like a charm.

Once the car is fully "On", the 12V battery isn't used - all 12V power comes from the drive battery via the DC-DC converter. If the ICE is on, the car must be fully "On", so that's not your issue. All the 12V battery does is turn on the computers in the car and connect the drive battery into the circuit: if it manages that, the 12V battery should be OK. Thereafter you could almost disconnect it and the car should still run as normal. Obviously yours is misbehaving, as the car will run the ICE when needed to maintain the drive battery, which will in turn should maintain the 12V battery. You need to see a dealer who can run some diagnostics on the car (unless you have a fault-code reader), as the problems you've described mean that the car is definitely not behaving as it should

Even after 7 years of driving the PHEV, I still get the starting co-ordination wrong, although not as often as when I first had the car. :lol:
It can take a while to get it right.

The ICE is not started from the 12 V battery, but from the generator, which is powered from the main battery.
However, when the temperature drops below -20º C the car is outside its temperature operating range and may need to be jump-started.

Back