"charging interrupted by system malfunction"

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerHunter said:
Guys,

I've now had a partial charge a few times with the dash showing the message "charging interrupted by system malfunction".
Any ideas?

Kev.
Only that it sounds serious and you should contact your dealer.
Kind regards,
Mark

Seems to keep doing it every 30 min or so :(
PHEV_fault.jpg

Kev.

BeerHunter said:
Guys,

I've now had a partial charge a few times with the dash showing the message "charging interrupted by system malfunction".
Any ideas?

Kev.
If you have BG 16amp charge point - I had the same fault - the one at home the charge was perfect but the one I had installed at a relatives house ( I visit every week) did exactly what you have described...same error MSG on the dash...

BG referred me directly to Chargemaster and they came and replaced the wall box within a week - fixed the problem....

If you listen closely to the wall box is it making a fizzing/buzz and then the contactor rattles for a couple of seconds then the car rejects the charge... No error light on the wall box...

As a check that it's the wall box - does the car charge ok when you use the 13amp lead provided with the car?

Well, it is definitely the Chargemaster charging unit at fault. Listen to the racket it is now making when I attach it to the car:
http://youtu.be/HBAGH4tquW8

Kev.

Is your unit 16amp? I got the same message when a 32 amp cable was connected at my local garden centre. PHEV can only take 16. Once he used the correct cable everything was fine.

Cheers

Chris

Lyra252 said:
Is your unit 16amp? I got the same message when a 32 amp cable was connected at my local garden centre. PHEV can only take 16. Once he used the correct cable everything was fine.

Cheers

Chris
Mine is a 16 amp unit.

Kev.

BeerHunter said:
Well, it is definitely the Chargemaster charging unit at fault. Listen to the racket it is now making when I attach it to the car:
http://youtu.be/HBAGH4tquW8

Kev.
Yep - that's the fault - get on to Chargemaster ( or BG customer service) and get it changed...
There seems to be a faulty batch around...

Yes that's my problem too, as described on my new car not charging thread.

Logged it twice with BG last week on their support line and still not had a call back to schedule an engineer. Not very impressed.

Padped said:
Yes that's my problem too, as described on my new car not charging thread.

Logged it twice with BG last week on their support line and still not had a call back to schedule an engineer. Not very impressed.
I spoke directly with chargemaster and they couldn't be more helpful. A replacement will be on its way.

Kev.

Chargemaster have not offered a replacement for me. They are telling me they have had a few reports of this issue with this vehicle and they are discussing a solution with Mitsubishi technical....so sounds like there is a bit of buck passing possibly?

With some people (including my Mitsu dealer) using an on the face of it the same charger succesfully surely looking into what is different between this newer batch vs the older working ones would identify what is up.

Hope they get it sorted quick as it's no where near as convenient to be running extension cables into the garage...
I know it was subsidised but does anyone know what service leval agreement we have for this kit?

Padped said:
Chargemaster have not offered a replacement for me. They are telling me they have had a few reports of this issue with this vehicle and they are discussing a solution with Mitsubishi technical....so sounds like there is a bit of buck passing possibly?

With some people (including my Mitsu dealer) using an on the face of it the same charger succesfully surely looking into what is different between this newer batch vs the older working ones would identify what is up.

Hope they get it sorted quick as it's no where near as convenient to be running extension cables into the garage...
I know it was subsidised but does anyone know what service leval agreement we have for this kit?

You haven't overspecified the charging point by going for the 32A version, have you? I do recall seeing a suggestion on another board that this could trigger symptoms like yours sometimes.

No it's the same (visably) 16A version that the dealer had installed some time ago at her home and works fine....just wondered if they changed the sw/specs of this unit and could identify that by comparing the two

Quick update. I had to chase chargemaster a few times but they eventually swapped the unit and all is well now. Seems like a faulty batch of 16A chargers as mentioned earlier. What bemused the technician was the charging would start then the car halted it with the warning re interrupted and there was no error d light on the wall box. Must have been serving an irregular or high charge that the car didn't like and turned off to stop damage maybe?

Any way pleased it's done and having a 'leccy car is now working for me with easy plugins everything at home without the faff of extension cables

I had this error on a public charging point in Birmingham yesterday. I disconnected, reset everything (car and charger) and started again, but the same fault occurred each time. I've since driven the car home and successfully charged on my home charger so I think it was a charge point problem. I sent a note to Plugged-In Midlands (Chargemaster) this morning and will let you know if I get a response.

Quick response from customer service, which is good. I won't be back in Birmingham for a while, but if anyone else uses the Temple Row point it would be good to know what happens

-----------------------------

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your email.

We have now logged the fault with the Temple Row charger and will endeavour to have an engineer booked to attend early next week.

If you notice any further issues, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Chiara Di Paolo
Customer Services Co-ordinator

Got the same error this morning. Rang Chargemaster who were very helpful and they had me reboot the charging unit. You just flick the switch off at the consumer unit indoors (should be labelled 'EV') and leave it for 10 minutes. Flick it back on, wait for the lights on the charging unit outside to stop cycling on and off and the yellow light remains constant. Plugged it in and it worked.

Back