hvaghela

Re: Cycle carrier on the boot/trunk

Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 am

Hi ho, hi ho its off Aldi I go :D

AndyInOz

Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 pm

LOL! Aldi are weird. I hope you don't come back with a unicycle.
2014 PHEV Aspire, Arctic Silver;
Black Interior;
Hayman Reese removable tow bar;
1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

VillageIdiotDan

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm

@ hvaghela. How's it getting on? Does it feel secure with 3 bikes on please?

Your photos helped as when I lined my Saris Bones 3 up to my PHEV I'd hooked the lower straps to the relatively flimsy bumper.

Anyone feel the side straps being on the glass is a bit dodgy? I guess its reinforced glass and the side straps aren't really holding any weight so shouldn't be an issue.

Have you seen any damage to the spoiler as it seems to be pivoting off it. Saris recommends the EX version which is £200 but has a bent leg and the upper strap coming off at the bend so that it doesn't foul the spoiler.

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

hvaghela

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:43 am

Hi Villageidiotdan

To be honest We’ve also used it for short journeys - no more than 15 miles one way and it feels secure going up to 60 mph.
I put some coloured insulating tape on the ends of the straps to easily identify the top bottom and side straps. The bottom straps go on the lower edge of the boot lid ( I always switch off the automatic tailgate near the cig lighter before installing). I also glued a small piece of rubber on the V end of the strap (ie the bit that says TOP BOTTOM SIDE) to protect the paintwork and glass. I’ve had no issues with my Saris.

VillageIdiotDan

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks, appreciated. I think i'm overly worrying about the spoiler, I suspect while not ideal it's at least substantial metal being part of the boot (as opposed to a plastic add on). Good idea re colour coding and I suspect i'll be deploying some old inner tubes and pipe lagging to make sure.

I'm trying to get something that works on both the Outlander and my wives SLK so roofbars/towbar solutions aren't really an option.

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

littlescrote

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:50 am

Having seen one of those fly off the back of someone's car as they accelerated out of a t-junction I would never have such a thing.

Towbar and foldable and tiltable cycle carrier for me - also comes with proper electrics and lights/numberplate so you don't risk either being pulled over (highly unlikely in today's traffic cop free driving environment) or being shunted into the back of as your brake lights are obscured and you can still use the tailgate.

jinda

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:47 am

Hi, I'm using HyperAx RV Hitech Mountain bike rack. It is amazing.

MnementhNZ

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:17 pm

I have used one of these on my PHEV and my parents in law on there standard outlander, I now have a towbar so it's easy.

However never hook it on the glass of the boot as even if it is reinforced it is only for direct face hits my parents in law had done this and there rear windshield shattered while driving with the bikes on, needless to say they invested in a towbar a week later they don't cost to much $400ish (in NZ).

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”