Replacing the radio

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdasmith

Has anyone replaced the radio on their car? I'm wondering how easy it would be as there aren't any slots on the front of the facia for removal tools.

I have a GX3h and am thinking of installing a Pioneer SPH-DA120.

I don't know how to do it, but if you have the MMCS installed, I might want to buy it off your hands, if you are interested with parting with it? Living in Greenland, we cannot get the MMCS, as the Mitsu garage here that we do not need the Nav system, and to hell with the rest of the MMCS functinality:(

KillerBob said:
I don't know how to do it, but if you have the MMCS installed, I might want to buy it off your hands, if you are interested with parting with it? Living in Greenland, we cannot get the MMCS, as the Mitsu garage here that we do not need the Nav system, and to hell with the rest of the MMCS functinality:(

Sorry, the GX3h only has a radio. I don't think I'd do it with the MMCS for the functionality like pre-heating that comes with that radio, and I don't think can be replaced with an alternative.

Just hoping...

If someone could guide me to a place where I can buy the unit, or someone knows of someone who has trashed their Phev, and wants to sell a working MMCS, please let me know...

KillerBob said:
Just hoping...

If someone could guide me to a place where I can buy the unit, or someone knows of someone who has trashed their Phev, and wants to sell a working MMCS, please let me know...

Can I ask why the MMCS particularly? You won't have the electric heater installed will you, so pre-heating won't work? There are better integrated satnav systems instead in my opinion, which is kinda what I'm looking to do.

Our Outlanders here actually have the heater, and everything else, installed, bar the MMCS unit itself. We co trol the heater from the iPhone app...

Why I want the MMCS unit is because of the plentitude of settings, and the graphics. I obviously do not need a Nav system with only 300km of roads available:)

KillerBob said:
Our Outlanders here actually have the heater, and everything else, installed, bar the MMCS unit itself. We co trol the heater from the iPhone app...

Why I want the MMCS unit is because of the plentitude of settings, and the graphics. I obviously do not need a Nav system with only 300km of roads available:)

I didn't realise that wasn't controlled by the MMCS.

I haven't actually found anything missing since i took out the MMCS either on the app or the setting on console screen.

Upside is - The sound is better. Phone actually works properly, Decent SatNav.

iansjones said:
I haven't actually found anything missing since i took out the MMCS either on the app or the setting on console screen.

Upside is - The sound is better. Phone actually works properly, Decent SatNav.

How difficult was it to take the old one out? Have you found a suitable adaptor for the steering wheel controls?

Yes it was very easy to take out.

Connects 2 do the cable adapters and fascia adapter so you can use the steering wheel controls and the reverse camera.

Do you still get all the charge / usage / trip information on the aftermarket head unit?

iansjones said:
Yes it was very easy to take out.

Connects 2 do the cable adapters and fascia adapter so you can use the steering wheel controls and the reverse camera.

Hi - don't mean to hijack the thread, but ca I ask which head-unit you replaced the MMCS double din unit with?

Cheers,
Ryan

On the Aftermarket unit you loose the Phew specific stuff.
But the trip info etc is available on the main dash between the speedo and that is good enough for me.

I replaced it with a Pioneer F60DAB - this gives me the full aple play stuff as well as a great SatNav.

iansjones said:
On the Aftermarket unit you loose the Phew specific stuff.
But the trip info etc is available on the main dash between the speedo and that is good enough for me.

I replaced it with a Pioneer F60DAB - this gives me the full aple play stuff as well as a great SatNav.

Cool. how much if I can ask plus installation?

Thanks

In sunlight my radio display can't be seen not that it is sunny that often in Cumbria I was told there wasn't anything they can do am I being fobbed off

There are contrast and brightness settings for the display unit. Had to adjust for Australian conditions and works good enough on a sunny day. Not the same as an HD display on a phone.

All the other instruments are ok it's just the radio that doesn't adjust its ok at night I can't see anything on a bright day

Well managed to do it myself in the end, really pretty easy if you have the right trim removal tools. I've gone with the SPH-DA120, and using the Connects2 kit, everything fits and looks great. Only a couple of niggles that I've found really. You can't use the car's built in USB ports (Mitsubishi have put their own connector on the end for some reason), although there is a useful slot in the top of the glove box which allows a USB cable to go through without having to drill holes or make anything untidy.

You also can't use the car's microphone, so I've installed the Pioneer one on the steering column. Only just visible and pretty neat. I also couldn't get to the handbrake for the switch, and couldn't locate the correct on the harnesses behind the radio.

Finally, the Connects2 facia doesn't have the glittery silver flecks like the original dash, but that's only really visible in strong sunlight, so you don't normally notice it.

Back