Driver Side Switches

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billa

Hi All,
This is my first post since buying my PHEV 4HS a couple of months ago.
I have so far enjoyed my first 2,000 miles without incident, apart from someone denting my passenger door and bonnet at less than 300 miles on the clock, engine wise all has been good.
I am however wondering what it will be like when the British winter closes in.
The one thing that did bother me from delivery was the position of the two rows of buttons on the right side of the driver. I found my steering wheel obscuring the switches I used the most and redundant blanks within my line of sight.
So frustrated I have been that over the Bank Holiday I just had to get my tool box out. I’ve moved the buttons I use the most to within my line of sight and the blanks to the area obscured by the steering wheel....deep joy........ :D

It was a strange design decision, wasn't it? I've got used to them where they are now, but moving them would have been a sensible idea!

As far as I am aware you don't even have to get your toolbox out. Most of the car and certainly the dash trim can be disassembled with just a screwdriver to flip panels out and lift little buttons...

Lol.......that’s right once I got started the only tools I used were a screw driver, Stanley knife and some double sided tape......

Slightly off topic ......I have tried to upload a photo of the switches, but when I click on image, all I get are the words “IMG” in my post....

Any suggestions???

My dealer moved them for me at first service of PHEV#1. had to leave PHEV#2 as it was, and on PHEV#3, I moved them myself. I have also added some additional switches to the blanks.

PS: I only moved the menu button to the far right position. This is really the only button I use.

billa said:
Hi All,
I am however wondering what it will be like when the British winter closes in.

Just coming out of first Winter with PHEV in Australia. I'm in Canberra, so winter overnight temp has been down to about minus 6 C, but warming to 10-12 during day.

Only real issue I had was reduction in range - probably due to engine automatically cutting in to drive heater when cold (BTW this can be reduced by selecting ECO mode which engages engine less):
Summer range = 43 km (not unhappy with that, despite Mitsubishi claim car should deliver 52km on full charge)
Winter range = 35 km

Might add that the algorithm that calculates the expected range is not very helpful, because it is based on how you last drove the vehicle. For my 43 km round trip to work I've had EV range indicator at start of trip show anything between 29 and 54 km - but every time it ran out after 43 (at least in Summer).

I'm hoping the range will return to 43 as weather warms up.

TRT

Hi All,

Thank you for your answers and help.
Have added photo of re-positioned switches.

PHEV_Switches.jpg

kk7o07lnt

Hi there,

To gain access I removed the plastic steering column cover, just one screw underneath holds this on.

Once off you can get your hand behind the black plastic trim, just push towards you and it will pop out complete with the switches.

This makes the switch housings and connectors easy to disconnect and remove again push from behind and they will pop out.

I swapped the right hand blank with the menu button, when I did this I had to trim a small amount of the menu switch housing side guide away for a proper fit.

Finally during re-assembly I added double sided tape to ensure the switch housing and the black trim are well held together.

Hope that helps...

I got round to this at the weekend. Thanks for the tip as I am much happier with the new switch positions as it is now much easier to see the ones I use most. On my GX3h I have moved the headlight leveller to the far right on the bottom row and the display switch to the far right on the top row.

Really old thread I know but I found it very useful.
I have managed to move the menu button where I can actually see it :D
However, I wand to add a new switch and possibly move the tailgate switch to the bottom row of switches.
I can access these now the steering cover is off but the blanks seem extremely tight.
I pushed and pulled as hard as I dare; do the definitely just push out like the top row? I don't want to break anything...

Thanks

Back