Winter Tires and rims for 2018 Outlander PHEV SE

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpduning

new to the forum here, and I combed through a bit, and tried searching but don't know if this question's been answered.

I've bought a 2018 Outlander PHEV, with the SE trim level.

As I'm in eastern Ontario I'll be in need of some winter tires.

On previous cars with nice shiny alloys, I've always used minus-sized steel winter rims in favor of a higher tire sidewall and narrower tread, not great in the curves of course, but when the snow flies this has given great results for traction.

The dealer seems to be under the impression that I need 18" rims on this model (it comes with 18" alloys for the 3-season tires)

anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

-Scott

Never trust a car dealer.

I am running 16 inch rims on my winter tires. Same total diameter though. Car comes standard with 225/55-18 and I run 215/75-16 in winter. Works perfectly.

There is even a model running on 16" rims from the factory over here. The only thing that counts technically is the total diameter of the wheel. And legal requirements of course.

German requirements ask for "thin chain versions only".

It might be good to check if you will have sufficient space in case that you want to go for standard chains.

Steepndeep said:
Never trust a car dealer.

I am running 16 inch rims on my winter tires. Same total diameter though. Car comes standard with 225/55-18 and I run 215/75-16 in winter. Works perfectly.

That’s cool I’m just trying to figure out if the brakes are different in the PHEV model vs the v6 model.

For clarity’s sake are you in the North American market?

Harald said:

It might be good to check if you will have sufficient space in case that you want to go for standard chains.

Wow chains... they’re not road legal here anyway, can’t even use studded tires In Ontario. But our winters are reasonably tame in Ottawa.

In the UK 18inch OEM alloy rims (18 X 7.00J with 225/55 R18 tyres) are not homologated by Mitsubishi for winter tyre fitment. If Mitsubishi were asked to supply a 'set of winter wheels and tyres' they would supply 16inch steel wheels with 215/75 R16 tyres. That doesn't stop us enterprising, pre-brexit brits fitting 18inch OEM alloy rims with 225/55 R18 winter tyres though. Chains are not that commonly used (or needed) in the UK, and in fact most UK driver's wouldn't know what a winter tyre is for. Even though we spent a good part of last winter slipping and sliding about and crashing into each other. Winter tyres are not a legal requirement in the UK. I have a set of steel wheels with winter tyres on my Smart car but they don't look as nice as the 'summer' alloys and the steel wheels eventually go rusty.

Whether or not fitting 18inch OEM alloy rims with 225/55 R18 winter tyres would upset leasing companies (warranty?) or insurance companies is possibly a grey area. Although I always tell my insurance company that I have winter tyres fitted (in the winter) just in case. You'd have thought they'd be grateful but they don't seem to care really. The only risk we take is that the person tailgating us doesn't have winter tyres fitted so will almost certainly drive into the back of us. Apart from the extraordinary amount of extra grip in snow the best thing I've noticed about winter tyres on a PHEV is that they prevent understeer into corners when driving on ice, and sliding when driving downhill on ice. Even 4 wheel drive doesn't stop these two things happening.
That’s cool I’m just trying to figure out if the brakes are different in the PHEV model vs the v6 model.
when you say 'V6 model' I guess you mean a V6 petrol? We dont have a V6 petrol version in the UK, only a lumpy ol' diesel version - which some people buy, I think mainly because it has 7 seats and is probably more reliable than a Land Rover.

Asked our dealer about winter tires here in Ontario when we picked up our 2018 PHEV on Friday. He said the dealership would set us up with winter tires on 16" rims and TPMS sensors.

Will probably get them in another couple of months as I'm not sure about the fitted Toyo's in the winter.

Be cautious when choosing a 16"wheel on an MY19 Outlander. (I have just bought one). On my old 2016 16" wheels with 215/70/R16 tyres were supplied by a German Mitsubishi dealer.

I can not use these on my new MY19 petrol. The new Outlander handbook specifically states that under no circumstances should 16" wheels, even original Mitsubishi originals, should be fitted if the vehicle is equipped with an electronic brake, which mine is.

I took my 16" wheels to my supplying Mitsubishi dealer for a "test fit": this confirmed that the electronic brake was dangerously close to the 16" rim.

I also note that the MY19 brochure does not specify a 16" wheel in the technical specification, although 16" wheels are listed in the handbook: presumably for non-electronic brake versions.

My local Mitsubishi supplier would not confirm theses as acceptable, there being no known tests with this alternative size.

For info: the Outlander wheels in UK are 18 x 7.00J 5x114.3 Offset 38 Centre bore 67.1.
Finding these equates to a search for rocking horse manure. I found mine in Germany, supplied by a company in Andorra!

srpduning said:
Harald said:

Wow chains... they’re not road legal here anyway, can’t even use studded tires In Ontario. But our winters are reasonably tame in Ottawa.
In my experience you hardly ever need chains. I would say plenty of space for standard chains.

I thought about a separate set of winters which I have for my other car but in the end bought some Michelin Crossclimates which now come in the right size and have come down in price. Great tyres and much better than the OEM Toyos.

Recently went through this process and thought I'd share my knowledge...

My tire/tyre supplier gave me the following options (prices are in Canadian Dollars - YMMV but the tires themselves should be available worldwide I would have thought).

225/60/17 winter tire + 17” hub centric steel wheel package (Without TPMS)

Federal WS2 package $880/set
Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 package $1160/set
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 package $1100/set
Conti winter contact SI package $1040/set
General Altimax Arctic 12 package $980/set
Gislaved NF200 package $1000/set
Goodyear Ultra grip winter package $1000/set
Michelin Xice3 package $1160/set
Pirelli winter ICE ZERO FR package $1050/set

Although I've been happy with the Bridgestones on my wife's car, I went for the Michelins. Both have great reviews on Tire Rack's site. From my research I saw that the Continentals are decent too, but there weren't enough reviews for a direct comparison.

When you say "Without TPMS" is that just to indicate the quoted price or are you actually getting a second set of tires without TPMS? Just wondering how that works.

From what I've heard its only the tpms idiot light on at the bottom of the speedo.. But can someone confirm this the the data display doesn't keep harassing you the the tpms needs maintenance? Dealer here wants 310$ for tpms for either a regular set or ones that clone the original set. So no ecm programming required that way.

The centre display shows a TPMS alert when the car is turned on. It makes you press and hold the display switch button to acknowledge it. After that you just get a smaller yellow "!" triangle, but the rest of the display is normal. The TPMS tire light on the speedo also flashes, but after a minute it stops flashing and stays on solid. It's not too intrusive, but a square of black tape could take care of it.

I put on 225/60R17 Michelin X-Ice tires. The tire shop originally quoted $300 for TPMS sensors, but then they came back and said they had to get special Mitsubishi sensors and it would be $900 for them! I dislike warning indicators but for that much I'll look the other way.

After I got the tires I was curious and found a few companies online that sell sensors for many models of cars including the Outlander. Usually less than $50 each. Some are programmable so they can mimic the OEM ones so the car does not need to be re-programmed. I should have done the research first!

My wife's Audi has TPMS that uses wheel speed sensing rather than the internal pressure sensor, which is very convenient for winter tires.

2018 SE
(Canadian model)

msmatt said:
The tire shop originally quoted $300 for TPMS sensors, but then they came back and said they had to get special Mitsubishi sensors and it would be $900 for them! I dislike warning indicators but for that much I'll look the other way.

$900 - that's rather expensive - I paid £130 UK pounds ($220) for four, genuine Mitsubishi TPMS valves and another £30 ($50) to get them programmed in at a main dealer. So that's a total of $270 Canadian dollars. So either the tyre shop decided they fancy a $680 profit or Mitsubishi parts are really expensive in Canada. Might be worth finding out what a Mitsubishi dealer would want for a set.

Can't vouch for the reliability of cloned TPMS valves.

Sorry for the delayed response PerthPHEV.

msmatt pretty much answered it all. I even got the same tires :D
There's an annoying reminder when you first get going, but three seconds press on the info button clears it, replaced by a small warning triangle.

The quote is without TPMS, and I didn't get TPMS so don't even know how much they would cost from the tire supplier. When I asked, they said there was the programming on top - which sounded like a nightmare - so I quickly moved on without finding out cost.

I did go to my dealership the other day for an unrelated matter - and the subject came up. The dealer jokingly/annoyingly berated me for not giving them a try first, and said the sensors if they were to supply the tire package would be $15 each. I think that was just a ploy to make me feel guilty though.

I bought a full set of genuine VDO sensors from the e-bay seller below.
79.00 Euros

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263983635641?ViewItem=&item=263983635641

VDO part number: S180052094Z
Mitsubishi part number: 4250C477

He sells winter tyres too. ;)

I can highly recommend Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres, however traction is severely limited by the tiny ground clearance of the Outlander.

Hi all - I got a 2nd hand Outlander in June (a Sept 2014 vehicle - UK 64 plate) and am looking at winter tyres. My last car (Skoda Octavia 4x4) I used separate wheel rims and have been debating whether to do the same for the Outlander or just to swap tyres on the same rims.

I've come across this option >
https://www.wheels24.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=373&cart_id=X15wxoVRSjoDNcT8.373.63254312

It looks an OK deal - by the look of the measurements they should fit the car. Any thoughts from the experts?

Cheers..

Back