Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First mods from new PHEV driver
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 am 

New PHEV driver here.

Got the car and took it for a drive accross Germany. Noticed a few things that were good and not so good. The good was the driving in traffic jams/city: nice, quiet and smooth. Even on the Autobahn it was OK up to 150km/h which is fine for the traffic situation and for a SUV. Overall mileage 10-11 km tot the litre which is good for a SUV (not quite average reference I have here: the last one was an X5 4.8)

Annoying were the constant beeps for everything I don't need a beep for. Especially when travelling at night with (half)sleeping kids in the back I can do without a beep for changing the display between the dials or a temperature change on the climate control.
So first mod the next day after the return: Took the dials out, muted the little round bugger and put it back in: functiones like expected.

Also noticed that some of the buttons can be moved to other locations (not all, they have notches) so moved them to my liking.

More interestingly, found that the dummy buttons are wired, so my question is: which position is for what button function so the wiring might be used for after-OEM-mods or other purposes (lights, switching etc)

Also on my wish list: provide the navigation unit with power/buffered power/delayed power so as to not have it switch off/slow power up every single time I get in our out of the car. Very primitive and unfitting in 2020 as my other cars had a delay-relay to feed navigation, radio, windows and so on early in the nineties......

Other things to do: add lighting in the interior, it's a dark pit in there and that is not practical on a longer journey through the night. Plan is to make it smart: red/white light depending on some variables. And a separate reading light for the passengers. The dome light is very stupidly placed: right in the sight of the rear-view mirror....

Next thing to do: remove the lining in the rear hatch to silence that bloody beeper in there. Not a nice thing to have when you arrive home in the middle of the night in a silent neighbourhood. And besides: I know it is opening, I just induced that myself!

Also to do: get the battery pack reset for a fresh start. MUT III active soon and get some anti-slip materials for all the stowage areas and build a centre console in the rear with lots of USB charging ports, drink holders and such.... and rear-seat heating. Special request from the little ons

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: First mods from new PHEV driver
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 am 

Moved lots of my buttons around, a little filing of the lugs and they pop straight in.

I bought a button from a breakers yard and used it to add a second CHRG button:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:30 am 

If you push the outside unlocking button twice in quick succession you can open the boot silently manually. Push close by hand as well without beep.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:06 pm 

Good one Jaap! I must have done that by accident today as I wondered about the missing beep.

Michael, how did you get that button to do that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm 

None of the EXTRA plugs that are unused can be used to add features. Mitsubishi, to save costs, build every car as a high spec, with a high spec harness, and just dont add the extra switches. i.e. if you wanted to add parking sensors to your basic Outie, you would need a new switch and harness, the factory fitted one cannot be used.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:16 pm 

Many of the plugs on the blank buttons are 4 pin, that's 12v and earth for the led illumination, and two wires for the momentary-make when you press the button.

So take the plug off a blank 4 pin button for a function you will never add to the car, ideally one in or close to where you want your new button to be located - all the buttons are described in the Manual.

Cut the two momentary-make wires, and insulate the ends you don't need.

You now have a plug with the led powered, and two trailing wires for the momentary-make function.

I spliced a twin-core cable into the momentary-make wires of the CHRG button, so it still works, and attached the other end of the cable to the trailing wires on the plug.

The cable runs through the centre console and up into the dash, the console and armrest bin come out fairly easily.

The trim down the windscreen pillar has only one or two screws and pops out easily too.

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am 

Aha, I understand. Nice to have som ILL wiring already in place when I add something new. And in the wiring schemes one might be able to weed out the cable routing and find the other end of the momentary-make wires. (probably much simpler to just add wiring anyway but on a rainy day...)

I intend to add LED interior lighting (and perhaps puddle lights too) in the storage areas, footwells and reading lights. In various configurations to be colored depending on the state of the trip. (at night driving: dimmed red, at night standstill a choice of white or red (quick gas station stop with sleeping kids or longer stop with luggage rummaging around) and so on.
for that, a control switch might come in handy. Time for visit to a salvage yard for buttons

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 pm 

The existing wiring for the CHRG button frustratingly does already go up behind the speedo according to the wiring diagrams,, but even with a colour code it will be hard to find it.

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:15 am 

Now here is a thought after a week of driving along: can the paddles be rewired to act as + and - of the cruise control?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:18 am 

I use the small control on the steering wheel with my thumb to do this plus Regen set at B5, so I can move my thumb to cancel Cruise if braking needed.