HUD Display??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekiello

Hi as it seems that it is not rally an easy task to change the odometer from miles to km (imported PHEV to Ireland from UK) I was wondering if I could use a HUD Display to show speed in km/h. Torque Pro is getting that info via Obd scanner so I am looking for a suggestion for a HUD Display that is simple (ideally showing only speed) and most important a one that works all the time, not only when ICE in running. Is there anyone than could recommend a well working model??

Thanks in advance

While I appreciate your input that is not what I'm looking for. I want something that will be there permanently and will not require me to use my phone for that purpose. Seriously no one is using anything like that??

Not really - when I am in the UK I recalculate miles to km in my head. Multiplying by 1,6 or dividing by 0.6 is not that difficult.
30 mph ~ 50 kmh, 50 mph ~ 80 kmh, etc.

Again, not what I was asking. I am able to use multiplication. I am looking for a DEVICE not ADVICE. Not being smart but let's act like adults, I know the difference between miles and km's and I know the formula. With 200 thousand phevs sold I would imagine that someone has tried a device or two that I'm looking for users opinions.

I expect you have looked on Amazon / Ebay already where you will find a reasonable selection of Speedometer HUDs. For one year I successfully used an AUTOOL Solar GPS HUD Speedometer . It didn't actually project onto the windscreen, but I didn't require this and ran it from a 12v connector ( included) or sometimes from solar. However after a year the power supply stopped working. I was sent another newer model as a replacement but its readings were too inaccurate. Autool say that they are hoping to improve this in a later model.

I then invested in a Generic C60 Digital Car Hud Gps Speedometer with Overspeed Alarm which I have been using for about 4 weeks now and it is very accurate. I only use it face on although it claims you can project it onto the screen. It runs from a long USB lead
( included ) and sits on a small rubber mat ( also included). I use a cigarette style plug with usb sockets. You can set the overspeed alarm although you cant stop the one hour warning that you have been driving for an hour. It says that you can adjust the speed on it if you feel it is reading too high or too low but the default has been very accurate for me. It sits easily on the dashboard just by the windscreen and is very clear showing just the speed and is easy to remove quickly if you dont want to leave it on show when parked. It usually picks up a GPS signal quite quickly. It has mixed reviews on Amazon but I have been very impressed with it so far.
Its a pity that the PHEV doesn't have a digital speedo built in like several cars do now.

The advantage with either of these is you do not need to use your OBD socket

Thank you very much. I do have a gps 2 units that are feeding through usb port, however it seems that they do not have a fluent speed change as it can "jump" from time to time...maybe it has something to do with clouds...i also have an obd hud unit which was working fine with VAG cars (Seat Leon, Skoda Superb) however when plugged to the PHEV it just lits up for few seconds and then just fades away and stops working. I have read somewhere that sometimes it works only when ICE unit is on... I was hoping to find something that will work properly from Obd port ;)

dekiello said:
Again, not what I was asking. I am able to use multiplication. I am looking for a DEVICE not ADVICE. Not being smart but let's act like adults, I know the difference between miles and km's and I know the formula. With 200 thousand phevs sold I would imagine that someone has tried a device or two that I'm looking for users opinions.
Yes, I have, see my first answer. I use an old iPhone 4S in a holder on the windscreen with a GPS app. For me the main use is to have a precise speed indication to avoid paying the Fuzz. Works flawlessly, no messing around with OBD ports and more precise than a speed taken from the car electronics.

@jaapv if that would be me I would probably use olc phone but its my wife that drives outlander so I'm looking for a solution that would work straight after pressing start button and would not require making sure that phone is on, unlocked and the app is running...or have you sorted that bit somehow... That you don't need to unlock the iPhone and the app is just always on??

Thanks

The phone is not used for anything else, so the app is always activated. Waking a phone without password up and putting it to sleep is not that hard. Actually it wakes up automatically as soon as power is applied to the charging cable by starting the car.
Actually the main problem might be that I'm not sure whether you can still get an app that is compatible with the old O.I.S..

I'm confused by this exchange. The original OP was about needing to display mph on an import from Ireland. On my UK 2014 car I have both kmph and mph shown on the speedometer (Nb. odometer measures distance travelled not speed). Is the reverse not true for non-UK cars generally? If so, seems an EU failure! :roll:

Hi I bought an HUD from Geek (app on the play store) that is powered and takes data from the OBDII port and casts it onto the screen in the correct orientation. Shows speed, RPM, temp & battery voltage.

The device worked well in a Vauxhall insignia, so may work on the outlander PHEV, albeit I've not tried it.

dekiello said:
Hi as it seems that it is not rally an easy task to change the odometer from miles to km (imported PHEV to Ireland from UK) I was wondering if I could use a HUD Display to show speed in km/h. Torque Pro is getting that info via Obd scanner so I am looking for a suggestion for a HUD Display that is simple (ideally showing only speed) and most important a one that works all the time, not only when ICE in running. Is there anyone than could recommend a well working model??

Thanks in advance

Did you find a HUD that worked for you? Would like something simialar too.

Thanks

greendwarf said:
I'm confused by this exchange. The original OP was about needing to display mph on an import from Ireland. On my UK 2014 car I have both kmph and mph shown on the speedometer (Nb. odometer measures distance travelled not speed). Is the reverse not true for non-UK cars generally? If so, seems an EU failure! :roll:
Nobody in the EU uses miles... :p

Back