owentom
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 am

16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 am

Hi, I recently bought a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and am looking to buy a 16A charging cable to charge at public charging stations. If I buy direct from a Mitsubishi dealer, the cable costs £310. Looking online there seem to be several companies selling generic charging cables at approx. 1/3 of the price (around £100). Are there any potential issues with buying the generic cables that people have experienced or are aware of? Many thanks!

anko
Posts: 3405
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Netherlands, Utrecht area

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 am

Assuming they are decent quality, there is no reason whatsoever why you couldn't use other brands. Keep in mind, tethered stations do not come with Mitsubishi cables either ;-)

VillageIdiotDan
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 am
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:03 am

Owen, I think you do not need to buy a cable. All public charging stations should have the cable already - if they haven't I would suggest they are broken and the cable has been taken away. I could be wrong but these would be very much the exception to the rule. Your car has a "type 1" port and Chademo so this is all you're looking for, Mitsubishi hasn't invented it's own port.

The only time really you need to consider buying a cable is if you have a home charger installed. I have one and it only decreased the charge time from 5 hrs to 3.5hrs so not really worth it in my mind.
____________________

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

owentom
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 am

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 am

anko wrote:Assuming they are decent quality, there is no reason whatsoever why you couldn't use other brands. Keep in mind, tethered stations do not come with Mitsubishi cables either ;-)
Thanks Anko, the Mitsubishi dealer told me that if the charging cable caused a problem with the car, damaging the battery for example, that the warranty would be invalidated because it isn't a Mitsubishi cable. But when I spoke to the generic cable company they told me that the car has self-protection built in so that it will always detect an external fault and will not start or cease charging if there is a problem, so the car could only be damaged by charging equipment if there was already a fault with the on-board software / hardware which should be covered by the warranty... This is my only concern I think.

owentom
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 am

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am

VillageIdiotDan wrote:Owen, I think you do not need to buy a cable. All public charging stations should have the cable already - if they haven't I would suggest they are broken and the cable has been taken away. I could be wrong but these would be very much the exception to the rule. Your car has a "type 1" port and Chademo so this is all you're looking for, Mitsubishi hasn't invented it's own port.

The only time really you need to consider buying a cable is if you have a home charger installed. I have one and it only decreased the charge time from 5 hrs to 3.5hrs so not really worth it in my mind.
Thanks for your reply. There are four ZeroNet (7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes) charging stations in the town that I live in and none of them are tethered, not sure about elsewhere, that's the reason I was thinking to get the cable.

anko
Posts: 3405
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Netherlands, Utrecht area

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am

owentom wrote:..., so the car could only be damaged by charging equipment if there was already a fault with the on-board software / hardware which should be covered by the warranty... This is my only concern I think.
Indeed. In the end, the car is in control of how fast / to what level it charges that battery, taking into account a maximum current advertised by the cable / charge station. In theory the charger in the car could ignore the advertised maximum current and draw to much power and damage the cable and / or charge station or trip a fuse, but not the other way around. The charge station / cable cannot make the car do something it doesn't want to do.

anko
Posts: 3405
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Netherlands, Utrecht area

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 am

owentom wrote:There are four ZeroNet (7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes) charging stations in the town that I live in and none of them are tethered, not sure about elsewhere, that's the reason I was thinking to get the cable.
Of course I don't know about the UK, but over here, tethered stations are very uncommon, other than on peoples driveways. Main reason is that not all cars use a type 1 plug. Some use a type 2 plug. And a tethered station can only service one of them. Hence untethered stations: you bring the cable that suits your car.

VillageIdiotDan
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 am
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 am

owentom wrote: Thanks for your reply. There are four ZeroNet (7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes) charging stations in the town that I live in and none of them are tethered, not sure about elsewhere, that's the reason I was thinking to get the cable.
Ah, my bad, understood. I'm just learning myself and was keen you didn't buy if you didn't need it.
____________________

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

jaapv
Posts: 4595
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:03 am

VillageIdiotDan wrote:Owen, I think you do not need to buy a cable. All public charging stations should have the cable already - if they haven't I would suggest they are broken and the cable has been taken away. I could be wrong but these would be very much the exception to the rule. Your car has a "type 1" port and Chademo so this is all you're looking for, Mitsubishi hasn't invented it's own port.

The only time really you need to consider buying a cable is if you have a home charger installed. I have one and it only decreased the charge time from 5 hrs to 3.5hrs so not really worth it in my mind.
I don't know about the UK, but I have never seen a tethered charging station...
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

BCbackroader
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC

Re: 16A Charging Cable - Do I need to buy Mitsubishi brand?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

All of the charging stations here in BC, Canada, have either a type 1 plug attached (is that what you mean by tethered?) or both type 1 and Chademo. I've never seen a station that would require you to have your own cable.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”