Cycle carrier on the boot/trunk

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Hi everyone.

With summer (in the UK) coming around and my son (5) really getting into his cycling. My wife and I are getting ourselves a couple of bikes. We have a 2016 PHEV, and looking for a boot/trunk mounted cycle carrier. It has to be boot mounted as we don’t have a towbar and a roof rack is out as my wife is not tall or strong enough to get her bike up there (in my absence). I popped into Halfords (a nationwide cycle/motor store) they said they don’t have anything to fit my outlander.

Some online searches have been unhelpful but Thule look like they make some good ones. But will it fit safely?

Anyone have any experience with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Herbie

I have no experience with this kind of bike carrier as my outlander has a towbar and I own a thule system for two bikes.
Thule has good reputation but you can find other models of boot bike carriers fitting your car like those one: https://www.rameder.eu/bike-carrier/bike-carrier-tailgate/mitsubishi/outlander-iii/

Thanks mbriex for the input. I’ve checked out the site, unfortunately the Thule only holds 2 bikes. It is however an option.

Brill
Just ordered the Saris Bones 3 from Halfords online. Will pick it up tomorrow and try it out. I'll try and post a pic when its up.

Tried it on today, a bit fiddly but looks secure. Going out on a ride with the family this weekend. I'll see how it gets on with the bikes in place.

40898373543_be41be65e9_n.jpg

Had a family day out today with the bikes - the Saris bones 3 works well. I would recommend it.

andywil said:
Looks good but your number plate is obscured so you risk a fine and points on your licence.

Great point -i've got a spare rear plate - I need to think of a legal way show it off when the bikes are in place.

hvaghela said:
andywil said:
Looks good but your number plate is obscured so you risk a fine and points on your licence.

Great point -i've got a spare rear plate - I need to think of a legal way show it off when the bikes are in place.

As your lights are obstructed too, it'd be best to use a trailer board (and have a trailer socket fitted to plug it into). You can get them for around £20 (I think Aldi might have them in at the moment). Don't know on the socket fitting though. But probably a DIY kit exists.

@ hvaghela. How's it getting on? Does it feel secure with 3 bikes on please?

Your photos helped as when I lined my Saris Bones 3 up to my PHEV I'd hooked the lower straps to the relatively flimsy bumper.

Anyone feel the side straps being on the glass is a bit dodgy? I guess its reinforced glass and the side straps aren't really holding any weight so shouldn't be an issue.

Have you seen any damage to the spoiler as it seems to be pivoting off it. Saris recommends the EX version which is £200 but has a bent leg and the upper strap coming off at the bend so that it doesn't foul the spoiler.

Hi Villageidiotdan

To be honest We’ve also used it for short journeys - no more than 15 miles one way and it feels secure going up to 60 mph.
I put some coloured insulating tape on the ends of the straps to easily identify the top bottom and side straps. The bottom straps go on the lower edge of the boot lid ( I always switch off the automatic tailgate near the cig lighter before installing). I also glued a small piece of rubber on the V end of the strap (ie the bit that says TOP BOTTOM SIDE) to protect the paintwork and glass. I’ve had no issues with my Saris.

Thanks, appreciated. I think i'm overly worrying about the spoiler, I suspect while not ideal it's at least substantial metal being part of the boot (as opposed to a plastic add on). Good idea re colour coding and I suspect i'll be deploying some old inner tubes and pipe lagging to make sure.

I'm trying to get something that works on both the Outlander and my wives SLK so roofbars/towbar solutions aren't really an option.

Having seen one of those fly off the back of someone's car as they accelerated out of a t-junction I would never have such a thing.

Towbar and foldable and tiltable cycle carrier for me - also comes with proper electrics and lights/numberplate so you don't risk either being pulled over (highly unlikely in today's traffic cop free driving environment) or being shunted into the back of as your brake lights are obscured and you can still use the tailgate.

I have used one of these on my PHEV and my parents in law on there standard outlander, I now have a towbar so it's easy.

However never hook it on the glass of the boot as even if it is reinforced it is only for direct face hits my parents in law had done this and there rear windshield shattered while driving with the bikes on, needless to say they invested in a towbar a week later they don't cost to much $400ish (in NZ).

I am looking at purchasing a 25kg Ebike and was looking at the saris bones 2.

I emailed saris to ask if it would be ok to use it for my ebike at 25kg (21kg if i remove the battery) and she replied with a no.
I don't know why this would be as the 2 bike rack is capable of carrying 70lbs (32kg) according to the Saris website.

I am thinking I will go for it if I get the bike.

Looks like the bottom two straps fix inside the boot rather than the lip of the tail gate which is not an issue really as there are anchor points available internally.

Anyone else used a rear mounted rack for an Ebike? Thats the main question please.

Yes I know about tow ball racks and roof racks but don't want to go down that route.

I picked the new bike up saturday and had to remove the front wheel to get it in the car to bring it home. I need to get on with a bike carrier now, I am still undecided about the Saris bones 2 though. If I went for the towball option I would probably be looking at £750 ish? £500 for a towball and electrics and £250 for a decent carrier? Hmmm....
The bike is BIG, its an XXL Cube reaction hybrid 29er (I am 6ft 5") and I guess its about 30kg. I could ease the weight off for the saris bones by removing the battery when transporting, approx 4kg I believe. The straps on the glass rear window frighten me!

Back