trailer hitch

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pragsy

Hello, I own a 2018 PHEV and have been looking for a 2" receiver hitch to mount my bike rack. I have found a few types that are made for the the 2018 outlander (non PHEV) for around $175-$200 but when I look up the PHEV the price seems to jump by almost $100 more. The strange thing is that when I compare the 2 different types of trailer hitch they look exactly the same. does anyone have more details on this?
Can you fit a non PHEV hitch on our cars and if not what is the difference?
Thanks for any help.

They are different.

You can look up hitches at Uhaul. The Outlander has a part # of 78597 (manuf# 13163) and a rating for 4000lbs. The PHEV is listed as Outlander Hybird and the part # is CMF13398 (manuf# 13398) with a rating of 4500lbs (seems beefier).

I own a 2019 PHEV and this was the website I started researching from as I bought a hitch for my 2017 RDX from them a few years ago.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Mitsubishi_Outlander.htm

For your 2018 model, it is the model number 13398 from Curt. If you look at the under-body picture for the regular Outlander you will see the difference in the hitch, as the hitch for the regular Outlander would not fit the PHEV model.

If you do get the Curt model, I would advice that you make sure they ship you the complete kit. I bought my kit from a different supplier and the kit was missing the 2 steel bracket (PN: 13398-SP). I contacted Curt directly, and they had to ship the missing part separately after it was found out that the 2nd replacement kit also was missing the same parts. (If you want to read the entire story I will be doing a separate thread write-up on the installation).

Lastly, keep in mind that even though these hitches are rated for 4500 lbs, in NA (USA and Canada) the PHEV is only rated for 1500 lbs of towing, while in Europe it is rated for 1500 Kg.

Back