Repositioning the CHRG button?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael8554

Possibly move the headlight levelling switch down to a vacant slot in the lower panel where the pedestrian warning switch is located.
And get an Information Display switch from a car breaker to use as a second CHRG switch in the vacated hole.
That's all based on the impression that both switches are simple momentary push to make, rather than latching make - break.
So fitting another switch in parallel with the current CHRG button is a possibilty.
From some wiring diagrams I see that the wiring from the CHRG switch is on plug C-238, going to C-02 and C-03, located behind the right hand drive instrument panel.
I can't work out where it goes after that.
Or how to get behind the instruments.
As to why I want to do this, having the CHRG switch in a more convenient location would suit my driving style, so please let's not get sidetracked into the merits.

Thanks for looking

Michael

You're not the only one wanting to redesign the dashboard!

I have thought since buying my car in Sept 2015 that all the buttons behind the 'gear' selector need moving. I can't abide needing to take my eyes that far off the road to find the Charge and Save buttons.

Mitsubishi seem to think that some of the buttons for other less used functions are more important and placed them on the dash. And other buttons are shielded by the steering wheel or your hands.

In the end I spliced wires into the CHRG switch cabling and run them through the centre console up to the switch positions to the right of the steering wheel (RHD).

The two outer wires on the plug are to the momentary push-to-make contacts.
The two inner wires are power to the led inside the switch - you have to get that polarity right or the led won't work.

These Cocas switches are "keyed" to only fit a specific hole in the dash, so a small amount of needle-filing is required to move the switch positions around.

Access to the switches on the dash isn't too hard. Simple expansion rivets, Pozi screws, and the panels pull straight off.

Centre console is a bit more tricky, but still simple fittings.

Be aware that a CHRG switch from a breaker will end up rotated 90 degrees in the new position, so the lettering will be rotated 90 too.

I understand about wanting to redesign the dash, my biggest issue is the fact that MMC see fit to not illuminate all the switches on the doors so if you can operate these by feel why do you need to locate such a large, well lit switch that is at the base of the gear selector? Not exactly something you can miss, even in the dark.

No I can't locate the window switches in the door panel by feel, so I'm going to put white spots on them to make them stand out from the featureless black.

Same with the CHRG switch. I'm tired of groping around trying to find CHRG and hitting SAVE instead, and having to turn around to locate it is dangerous IMO.

If you're happy with the location that's fine with me, no need to criticise my preferences.

View attachment CHRG.jpg

View attachment windows.jpg

does anyone know if the CHRG, ECO and SAVE switches are on the CAN bus, or just digital inputs to the ETAC?

same with B paddles please.

having some thoughts about a CAN widget to do all sorts of things like automatically witch to preferred settings etc.

A Workshop manual can be found here:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/2014/index_M1.htm

There are some PHEV wiring schematics and connection diagrams, hope they help you answer your CANbus and ETAC questions.

Back