Adding carplay compatible headunit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chanko

I am about to buy a 2016 Outlander model and want to add Apple Carplay. I see this can be done by swapping the MMCS with another unit - Pioneer, Kenwood etc.

If I do this would the 3rd party unit lose the ability to read any of the standard screens built in? Photos attached of what I mean - battery info etc.. At this stage I don't know if the MMCS is simply a monitor or something that also holds Outlander specific data readings. Will I lose this Outlander specific info or does it simply display on any head unit?
thanks for any info!

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

The "head unit" is the entire computer.

There is software on the MMCS that displays the Mitsubishi specific stuff, that software isn't on a non-Mitsubishi device.

So all of that stuff goes, and you only have what is installed on the replacement unit.

TL;DR

No.

I’m looking for an outlander at the moment but yet to buy. So without driving I have no idea how essential that info is. What it is and what is it replaced by. There seems to be a lot of people selling replacement kits but no info explaining this issue.
I’m trying to find before buying but proving difficult to get any info.

I suggest you buy the car and use it to see if you find the MMCS info useful before looking to change the head unit. :idea:

you can do without most of the display stuff, but the MMS is useful for accessing a lot of vehicle settings, eg preheat timers etc. i won't be changing mine. a dedicated satnav or tablet with google maps is a worthwhile 'upgrade' though, manufacturer satnav is pants

Back