Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outlander phev 64 dipped headlights
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am 

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has my issue and has managed to solve it.
The standard dipped bulbs are H7s and I have swapped these out for the the brightest alternatives but the result is still lamentable; I have had brighter push bike lights :-S
So Having got a decent LED upgrade for the main beam, which are infinitely better than the standards, I thought lets order some high powered LEDs.
They arrived today. They work, but they don't fit.
WHY don't they fit?
They don't fit because they are H7 compatible and the phev DOES NOT USE STANDARD H7 FITTING!!!???
It appears the custom Mitsubishi connector also acts as the holder in the light fitting, completely negating the integral H7 locating features.
So, The H7 upgrades will not fit.
Appreciate your advice...

Post subject: Re: Outlander phev 64 dipped headlights
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:35 pm 

There were a lot of posts in the early days with users drilling and filing to get them to fit. However, I get round the problem with just driving with the fog lights on - otherwise I get flashed by other drivers who seem unable to see my large white car under near daylight street lighting here in London. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:52 pm 

It depends on the model, I suppose. My dipped lights are HID ones, pretty bright, the main beam was weak by comparison. I just popped in a couple of Osram Nightbreakers, and all was well.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:29 am 

greendwarf wrote:
There were a lot of posts in the early days with users drilling and filing to get them to fit. However, I get round the problem with just driving with the fog lights on - otherwise I get flashed by other drivers who seem unable to see my large white car under near daylight street lighting here in London. :roll:

Please don't drive around with fog lights on when it's not foggy. They dazzle other road users and are illegal, and mark you out as a bit of a dick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am 

Not in London! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:17 pm 

littlescrote wrote:
greendwarf wrote:

Please don't drive around with fog lights on when it's not foggy. They dazzle other road users and are illegal, and mark you out as a bit of a dick.

No they don't - that is the whole point of fog lights. I think you are confusing them with the "boy racer" long range spots which used to be popular.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:07 pm 

There must be a reason that inappropriate use of fog lights is illegal in the UK.

Guess what it is.

"The Highway Code gives explicit instruction on when you shouldn't use fog lights, in Rule 236: "You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

Yeah, they've got it all wrong, nobody flashes you when you drive along with fog lights on.......

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 am 

Fog lights cannot dazzle oncoming traffic. The whole point of a foglight is that it is mounted low and shines under the fog to give greater visibility. Any foglight which directed light upwards would be useless as it would shine into the fog and reduce visibility in the same way as using main beams reduces visibility. There is certainly a difference between foglights and spotlights

Anyway why use front foglights when we've got DRLs?

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:35 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Fog lights cannot dazzle oncoming traffic. The whole point of a foglight is that it is mounted low and shines under the fog to give greater visibility. Any foglight which directed light upwards would be useless as it would shine into the fog and reduce visibility in the same way as using main beams reduces visibility. There is certainly a difference between foglights and spotlights

Anyway why use front foglights when we've got DRLs?

Thanks ThudnBlundr beat me to it. Of course, the reason to use front fog lights is that the DRLs turn off automatically when the sidelights are switched on. If they didn't I would use them instead of the fogs at night. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:26 am 

:) Thanks for all those replies!
I may have the solution, which I found by taking a punt and searching on ebay and low and behold:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-H7-LED- ... 2749.l2649
For £2.99 including delivery.
So when they arrive I will report back as to if they work or not;
Fingers crossed.