Outlander phev 64 dipped headlights

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trajan

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has my issue and has managed to solve it.
The standard dipped bulbs are H7s and I have swapped these out for the the brightest alternatives but the result is still lamentable; I have had brighter push bike lights :-S
So Having got a decent LED upgrade for the main beam, which are infinitely better than the standards, I thought lets order some high powered LEDs.
They arrived today. They work, but they don't fit.
WHY don't they fit?
They don't fit because they are H7 compatible and the phev DOES NOT USE STANDARD H7 FITTING!!!???
It appears the custom Mitsubishi connector also acts as the holder in the light fitting, completely negating the integral H7 locating features.
So, The H7 upgrades will not fit.
Appreciate your advice...

There were a lot of posts in the early days with users drilling and filing to get them to fit. However, I get round the problem with just driving with the fog lights on - otherwise I get flashed by other drivers who seem unable to see my large white car under near daylight street lighting here in London. :roll:

It depends on the model, I suppose. My dipped lights are HID ones, pretty bright, the main beam was weak by comparison. I just popped in a couple of Osram Nightbreakers, and all was well.

greendwarf said:
There were a lot of posts in the early days with users drilling and filing to get them to fit. However, I get round the problem with just driving with the fog lights on - otherwise I get flashed by other drivers who seem unable to see my large white car under near daylight street lighting here in London. :roll:

Please don't drive around with fog lights on when it's not foggy. They dazzle other road users and are illegal, and mark you out as a bit of a dick.

littlescrote said:
greendwarf said:

Please don't drive around with fog lights on when it's not foggy. They dazzle other road users and are illegal, and mark you out as a bit of a dick.

No they don't - that is the whole point of fog lights. I think you are confusing them with the "boy racer" long range spots which used to be popular.

There must be a reason that inappropriate use of fog lights is illegal in the UK.

Guess what it is.

"The Highway Code gives explicit instruction on when you shouldn't use fog lights, in Rule 236: "You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

Yeah, they've got it all wrong, nobody flashes you when you drive along with fog lights on.......

Fog lights cannot dazzle oncoming traffic. The whole point of a foglight is that it is mounted low and shines under the fog to give greater visibility. Any foglight which directed light upwards would be useless as it would shine into the fog and reduce visibility in the same way as using main beams reduces visibility. There is certainly a difference between foglights and spotlights

Anyway why use front foglights when we've got DRLs?

ThudnBlundr said:
Fog lights cannot dazzle oncoming traffic. The whole point of a foglight is that it is mounted low and shines under the fog to give greater visibility. Any foglight which directed light upwards would be useless as it would shine into the fog and reduce visibility in the same way as using main beams reduces visibility. There is certainly a difference between foglights and spotlights

Anyway why use front foglights when we've got DRLs?

Thanks ThudnBlundr beat me to it. Of course, the reason to use front fog lights is that the DRLs turn off automatically when the sidelights are switched on. If they didn't I would use them instead of the fogs at night. :D

:) Thanks for all those replies!
I may have the solution, which I found by taking a punt and searching on ebay and low and behold:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-H7-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Retainers-Holder-Adapter-Fit-For-Mitsubishi-Outlander/133214141743?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
For £2.99 including delivery.
So when they arrive I will report back as to if they work or not;
Fingers crossed.

ThudnBlundr said:

The problem is that there is no legal requirement to check the aim of foglights, so yes they can be set incorrectly and can dazzle. Not only that, but they are designed to spread out sideways in both directions, whereas headlights are designed to shine more to the nearside, so again ,that can cause dazzling from foglights.

Regardless, if you use foglights when it's not foggy, you are a bellend in my book. You wouldn't drive around randomly tooting your horn all the time, so why drive with foglights on? If you want to be seen, use sidelights, or headlights.

littlescrote said:
ThudnBlundr said:

The problem is that there is no legal requirement to check the aim of foglights, so yes they can be set incorrectly and can dazzle. Not only that, but they are designed to spread out sideways in both directions, whereas headlights are designed to shine more to the nearside, so again ,that can cause dazzling from foglights.

Regardless, if you use foglights when it's not foggy, you are a bellend in my book. You wouldn't drive around randomly tooting your horn all the time, so why drive with foglights on? If you want to be seen, use sidelights, or headlights.

If you live & drive in London at night, you quickly find that it is headlights that are misaligned and cause dazzle. The fog lights on the PHEV are an integral part of the DRL cluster and are almost impossible to have misaligned (except due to damage) and as above, because they are angled down, will not cause dazzle even on the offside. As already mentioned the sidelights are too dim to be seen by myopically challenged Lunduners.

Happy to be considered a "bellend" by my country cousins. :lol:

What is it about some people that they think obeying laws is optional?

One of these days the authorities will use ANPR technology to detect illegal use of foglights, illegal number plates etc. and the transgressors will find out when the fixed penalty notice lands on their doorstep.

It seems to be Londoners and other city dwellers that seem to think it a good idea to ignore the instructions about social distancing etc so that they can spread covid-19 to country folk.

Stay at home so that the rest of us can stay safe.

It is really very very simple. ;)

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights.
You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

We ALL know this.

Be careful about quoting the highway code on this forum - apparently you will get a "reputation" :roll:

Katmandu said:
What is it about some people that they think obeying laws is optional?

One of these days the authorities will use ANPR technology to detect illegal use of foglights, illegal number plates etc. and the transgressors will find out when the fixed penalty notice lands on their doorstep.

It seems to be Londoners and other city dwellers that seem to think it a good idea to ignore the instructions about social distancing etc so that they can spread covid-19 to country folk.

Stay at home so that the rest of us can stay safe.

And the connection between the two subjects? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrPastry said:
It is really very very simple. ;)

You MUST NOT use front fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users

Oh no they don't (in true pantomime style) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's quite simple they are both laws that apparently city dwellers consider to be optional.

Whether you think fog lights do or don't dazzle is of no consequence, the lawmakers think they do and it is a law. If you don't like it lobby your MP to change it but until then obey it.

Likewise social distancing, the media keep referring to social distancing as advice whereas ministers state quite clearly it is an instruction i.e. part of the new legsilation recently introduced that is now law. It is obvious that far too many people (mainly in large urban areas i.e. cities) think they know better than the governmemt advisers and are ignoring it. Perhaps if one of their nearest and dearest dies they will have second thoughts.

I'm so glad that there are other civilised and law abiding citizens with some common sense on this forum. As said, Londoners in particular seem to think they are somehow better than others despite living like rats in tunnels and spreading disease.

Back