Outdoor charging solution

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDetroit

Hi, due to the layout of my house, i need to charge my PHEV outside. I was thinking to use the charging cable and brick it came with. Im having an outdoor plug installed at the location. I was hoping there was a solution i could purchase that holds/locks the brick unit while allowing the cord to wrap around it like a garden hose.. and even perhaps a holster that the charging gun can sit in, all being weather proof :) Anyone have a solution? :D

Build a basic slim wood cabinet, with a cable hook, plug holster, and a slot in the door so that the cabinet can be locked while charging.

Attachments

• Charger.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 149
Hi DrDetroit - I also looked at an outdoor charging system and both of the ideas above were what I originally had planned!

If you look in Amazon, I found several lockable metal boxes (you could also adapt metal post / mail boxes) which you could screw to the wall.

However, I found my charging cable could stretch from underneath the garage door, to the car, so ended up plugging my brick into a socket in my garage and I cut a small gap in the door frame to accommodate my cable so allowing me to close the door with the cable running outside.

I also screwed a 'double hook' (a jacket / coat hook) onto the inside wall which holds the charger 'gun' when it's not plugged into my car.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bloggsy

I bought a second hand gas metre box and placed it over the outdoor socket -- painted it black to smarten it up and bingo !!

I had this problem to solve no garage but two EVs- we have a Phev and also a leaf - so had two cables outside that needed to be on at night when charging is cheap. We also needed bike storage - so I built a shed with inbuilt charging portals. It works quite well - has retractable and non-stealable cables housed inside the two ports.

It's working pretty well so far and I love that it feels like we have our own personal fuel station!

Attachments

• shed2.PNG
    416.4 KB · Views: 80
The 'brick' should not dangle on its cord, so needs to be supported somehow. You could strap it to a wall in a way that is difficult to remove.
Plan 'B' would be to use a padlock around the cable to fix it to a cleat on a wall. That way it'd be easier to take the 'brick' with you.
I've not bothered and no-one's nicked mine. They may be pricey but not much good to anyone without a PHEV.

Back