What do you guys think of oil extractors?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEngineer

Hi guys,
after reading some raving reviews about them, I'm actually considering investing in an oil extractor to speed up my DIY oil changes.
What do you guys think of them? :ugeek:

I say it's a spam.
But then I'm only a lurker with 0 posts so maybe I'm not the best to answer :D

I would let it ride. While not exactly an EV related topic, it might generate some activity.

Well... Don't really know what to say but... I have an Outlander and I was considering buying an oil extractor so... this looked like a good place to ask such a question :?

My last Landrover had a built in suction tube specifically for an oil extractor. I guess it saves a lot of time & there's no need to crawl around on a cold wet concrete floor if you are just changing the oil.........
Would an oil extractor remove most of the engine oil if it was stuffed down the dipstick tube? I've never tried using one.

Hi folks - in my last car, I did my own servicing and changed the engine oil every 6 months.

After the first couple of times where I ended up with oil all over my driveway and/or me ( :roll: ) I found a replacement for the engine oil sump plug which is called an EZ Drain Valve (I think ;) ). This is a sump plug but is closed off by a valve which is opened and closed by a small lever.

When changing the oil, you attach a short hose to the valve and put the other end into your oil container and lift the lever which opens the valve and allows the oil to drain. Lowering the lever, closes the valve and you can swap containers or fill up the engine with fresh oil.

I generally found that oil extractors don't reach the crud at the bottom and draining from the sump is the best way (apart from removing the oil pan but that's a whole different level!) for home mechanics and the EZ Valve made the whole process much quicker, easier and with less mess.

I don't know if there's such a valve for the Outlanders but, IMHO, it's better than an extractor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Back when I was a lad (50 years ago) we used Flushing Oil to help get the sediment out but I doubt that it still exists. :ugeek:

Been servicing cars for 40+ years.
I too can remember seeing flushing oil but never used it.

I've always followed the same procedure.
First step was to get the engine nice & warm, remove the sump plug & oil filter.
Leave to drip into suitable containers (washing up bowl from the kitchen sink was a popular choice) whilst doing the other tasks like plugs & filters.
Just need to keep the bowl pretty close otherwise any wind will blow the dripping oil all over the place.
Always filled the new oil filter with fresh oil before fitting too.

I can see the attraction for these oil extractors these days, especially with the hassle removing undertrays & sump guards on modern cars.

I would be concerned with an extractor not getting all of the sludge out. After an initial drain change when the car is new, I would only use the extractor maybe twice then a regular full drain.

But while we are on the subject of oil changes... I'm one of those who believes that we change our oil way too often. Especially in cars where perhaps half the mileage is acquired with the ice off.

Where did the original poster go?

As far as I can tell, their very next post was spam about sex toys...

Looking over the logs, it looks like they were banned by one of the admins.

Back