40 mm Lift kit impossible to install?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolvin

After hearing about others installing a 40 mm lift kit on their PHEV, I purchased one from Russia. The shop got one side installed, but said the other side was impossible to install since the passenger side front CV is hitting the lower control arm. So I've got a useless lift kit now. They say probably 30 mm is the most you can do. Has anyone else had the same issue? 2018 Outlander PHEV.

Yes, same thing on my '18. The installer ground away just enough of the lower control arm to clear at full extension. The 30 mm would be the better option, but wasn't available when I had mine installed.

jcolvin said:
gclub After hearing about others installing a 40 mm lift kit on their PHEV, I purchased one from Russia. The shop got one side installed, but said the other side was impossible to install since the passenger side front CV is hitting the lower control arm. So I've got a useless lift kit now. They say probably 30 mm is the most you can do. Has anyone else had the same issue? 2018 Outlander PHEV.

similar problem with 2018 outlander

It will go in without grinding, but the axle will contact the lower A-arm when the wheel drops to its lowest travel, which probably won't happen on the highway, but will when you start traversing deep ruts off road. It could be heard and felt when I did that, and left a scrape mark on the axle, After some careful grinding to relieve the contact point on the arm, it has been fine. I have about 100,000 km on mine since the install.

Update to my lift kit experience:

In the roughly 100,000 km that I've driven since the lift, I've had to replace 3 front sway bar end links. Two have broken, and 1 was bent. The lift obviously puts extra strain on them, especially since the car can now navigate much rougher terrain. I think the real solution to this will be to find replacements that are 40mm longer, or simply remove the front sway bar entirely, which would allow a bit of extra articulation in the front suspension.

The symptom of a broken end link is a clunk in the suspension when crossing speed bumps.

Back