Does the 2020 outlander phev have a OEM tow plug?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kehfunah

I want to get a hitch installed and the harness but curt says OEM tow package is required. Reading the instructions it says there is a plug hidden in the trunk after prying off some plastics. Does anyone know if this is comes factory or only select models have it? Mine's a LE. Will go pry stuff off if no one knows and will update sometime later if no responses 🤣

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56412

Not sure as mine was fitted before I got the car, seems like you need a wiring kit

Lots of details & photos about towbar fitting in this post
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1608

From what I remember of the early day self-fitters the tow bar dedicated loom plugs into a socket in the existing harness under the boot floor - so both fitter & instructions are correct but I don't know where it is. :roll:

There are 2 plugs in the rear on a PHEV. Large one is on behind LHR side trim on inside of hatchback. If you have Electric lift tailgate be careful when removing trims. The second small one is under the boot floor leftish side of middle near all the harnesses that run along that route

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
There are 2 plugs in the rear on a PHEV. Large one is on behind LHR side trim on inside of hatchback. If you have Electric lift tailgate be careful when removing trims. The second small one is under the boot floor leftish side of middle near all the harnesses that run along that route

I took off the trim covering the tail gate, no plug there unfortunately. Interesting that you say there is a second plug. Was just following curt's instruction manual for their plug and they only specify there being a plug by the tailgate area. Based on some more research, only thing the SEL and GT trim have the tow plug. https://www.factorymitsubishiparts.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-trailer-tow-wire-harness-mz314942 their oem harness is only compatible with the 2 trims. I have a LE so might explain why I have no plug.

All models have the plugs. The plug is not in the tailgate, it is behind the large rear side panel on the left side.

There are plugs in the vehicle harness, but you need a sub-loom to go from those to the tow hitch connector. These are available from Mitsubishi, or aftermarket copies.

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
All models have the plugs. The plug is not in the tailgate, it is behind the large rear side panel on the left side.

Sorry I didn't describe it properly in my previous post. I took off the plastic trim in the trunk that covers the power lift gate's motor off and found no plug.

This is all I found behind the black trim. Couldn't see anything behind that black piece either. Curt in their instructions don't specify another location or a 2nd plug in the middle somewhere. the 4 wire plug thing I found does not look remotely like what the harness plug looks like.

Attachments

• received_191556219504096.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 64
  • received_750935145571350.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 63
  • received_365497135152766.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 64
Hi kehfunah.

All modern cars that are homologated for towing have will have dedicated connector for a vehicle specific towbar wiring loom.
Mitsubishi do not make wiring looms or towbars.
If you buy a towbar wiring kit from Mitsubishi in the UK, you will probably get one manufactured by Right Connections UK Ltd and you will be paying a lot more for it from Mitsubishi.

The Phev towbar wiring connector is covered in black tape & somewhat hidden.
See below. (2015 model).

20160914_184000~0.jpg

20160914_184019.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
Mr.P

You beat me to it. I have a similar picture i was just searching for to post.

That plug is in the same position on all outlanders from ZJ onwards.

And if anyone fancies a challenge, you can access the plug through the hole where the air escape vent sits under the rear bumper, so you dont need to remove the interior trim. I never remove the trim when i fit them, but i do have long arms.

Just so you're aware, if you have rear parking sensors they do not get disengaged when you put the vehicle in Reverse. It's like being back in the 20th century as you have to press the deactivate button which ,of course, deactivates the front ones too.

Back