Shift Lever Back to Front Operation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsoarer

Does anyone know how to make the shift lever work in the more logical directions... Push forward to drive forward and pull back to reverse.?
I would have thought that it would just involve swapping round some wires on the shifter multiplug.
Anyone tried or any suggestions. :?:

My wife have the same problem :)
And have to admit ,that more intuitial would be swapped positions.

It is nothing like an automatic which has click positions with Park at the top and all the other gears down...P-R-N-D .
The Outlander PHEV has just 2 spring loaded selections push forward for reverse.! and push back for forward.!!
NOT logical.

rsoarer said:
It is nothing like an automatic which has click positions with Park at the top and all the other gears down...P-R-N-D .
The Outlander PHEV has just 2 spring loaded selections push forward for reverse.! and push back for forward.!!
NOT logical.

Drive is down, reverse is up, neutral is middle.
Everything the same as AT.
Even parking only thru separate button on my old AT

But in manual transmission 1st gear is almost eveywhere up....

Sure there is a similarity to automatic , but fo sure it is also not logical.

Swapping wires on plug with goes to stick should not be a problem , but it will ot change the situation on dashboard.

I believe the dash would still show the correct direction symbols because I would think it reads the info from the ECU, not the lever itself. A small re-pictured sticker over the arrows below the lever should be all that is required.?

rsoarer said:
NOT logical.

Yes, so D is below R - exactly the same. P is the button in front, behind is: R-N(to the right)-D. That is three spring-loaded positions BTW.

I did not open this topic for discussing which way round other members think the shift lever should work but only to find if anyone knows how to make the shift lever logical as I and others would like to make this change.

Having rarely driven an automatic in over 40 years of driving when I bought a PHEV in 2014, yes I did find it a bit confusing, at first. However, being human, I soon learnt how to adapt. You may be right that there are others who would like to change the joystick layout but if so they have been remarkably quiet over the last 8 years - so it might only be you, so try not to get upset by the lack of support here.

Personally, I'm more annoyed that calculator & telephone keypads are still upside down to each other, which still causes me to occasionally misdial! :lol:

rsoarer said:
I did not open this topic for discussing which way round other members think the shift lever should work but only to find if anyone knows how to make the shift lever logical as I and others would like to make this change.
Well, although we will share technical knowledge gladly, this is not a technical Q&A, nor Mitsubishi's customer service, but a discussion forum.
As for your problem, maybe it has just to do with getting used to a different layout. Having owned a Wolseley with the shift lever between the door and the driver seat, a Citroen 11 with an upside-down dashboard shift, a 2 CV with an "umbrella" push-pull, etc., I am used to different manufacturers doing things differently... If you alter it, don't blame your mechanic for crashing the car into a wall when moving it around in his workshop :eek: :lol:

If I were able to make this change I would do so through a DPDT changeover switch to enable it as a driver preference non-permanent modification.

If you nned so then disassemble selector lever assembly and change wire pins corresponding to this shematics
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/img/90/HEU07E06CC00ENG.pdf

And you will need to rewire both sub and main ciruits and the sensor also.

Good luck with that.

Just do not let the smoke out of the box.... LOL

SORTED.....
I purchased a PHEV shift lever assembly the same as my model and with some engineering modifications I managed to turn the shift mechanism around in its cradle.
Now I move it left and forward for drive, left and back for reverse and just push forward for B regeneration..... Perfect.!

***NEWSFLASH***

A Mitsubishi PHEV has been found upside down, on its roof, after a seven storey fall from a valet carpark.

The owner has been charged with making dangerous modifications to the vehicle which caused the accident to occur.

:lol:

Back