12volt battery?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit

Hello all! Has anyone had to replace the 12v battery. At the 45k service they said it needed replacing. How much would it be?

Somebody on this forum was quoted a fairly idiotic price IIRC. It is nothing but a small regular battery, it is hard to see why it should cost much.

Ours seems OK at 40,000 miles. There's no reason for it to be expensive - it is a small, basic 12v accumulator. I doubt that Mitsubishi had it specially designed and manufactured - it must be something like a large motorcycle or golf cart battery.

Just searched around for the battery that is listed in the manual. Could find it in an Aussie website. Saw around 247 euro. (S46B24L)

The looked at the car - and it is a different battery in the car! (X60cmf)

Like others said it should not be any different than another maintenance free battery. You should get a maintenace free sealed battery as it sits inside the car and not "outside" in the engine compartment. I would take out the existing one and make sure I get one of same dimensions (so it fits) and having the poles in the same place (otherwise the cables may not fit, but you need to check). If it is off a little bit in capacity I would not bother. Should not cost more than 100 Euros I would think, but that is a guess.

Steepndeep said:
Like others said it should not be any different than another maintenance free battery. You should get a maintenace free sealed battery as it sits inside the car and not "outside" in the engine compartment. I would take out the existing one and make sure I get one of same dimensions (so it fits) and having the poles in the same place (otherwise the cables may not fit, but you need to check). If it is off a little bit in capacity I would not bother. Should not cost more than 100 Euros I would think, but that is a guess.

100 Euros seems ridiculously high to me! I have a golf cart battery which is a similar size and capacity and which I carry around to run an electric pump for our dinghy and inflatable paddleboard - that cost about £40 in Halfords.

rabbit said:
Hello all! Has anyone had to replace the 12v battery. At the 45k service they said it needed replacing. How much would it be?

I would definitely get a second opinion..... that battery leads a a very easy life. It sits in a nice cool place, never has to supply starting currents, so unless it has been standing fully discharged for a while at some time (unlikely?), there is no reason why it shouldn't last 10 years.

We did have to replace the equivalent battery in out Prius after about six or seven years - again, it only exists to get the systems booted up and to provide some stabilisation on the 12v bus.

Yuasa S46B24L (S) 45Ah CCA-325A

20160914_184031crop~0.jpg

Tayna from £54.90 inc vat
https://www.tayna.co.uk/YBX3053-Yuasa-SMF-Car-Battery-P10740.html

Halfords from £74.80 inc vat

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-5-year-guarantee-hsb053-silver-12v-car-battery

Took it to another place. They did a battery test, told me it was fine and should get another few years out of it.

In the manual it is stated that the battery is "exclusive" and that if it is replaced by an identical sized battery, it may not work.
One may see on the left hand side (on the photo above it is just to the left of the boundary between the yellow and white), there is some connection. I expect it to be some detection and maybe that is why it must be replaced by the same super expensive battery!
There must be something special about it, because it is also used in Toyota, Honda & Lexus Hybrids and Mercedes E & S Class.

Back