Scardie prospective new purchaser in New Zealand

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We have used Japanese import PHEV's here (no battery warranty once exported) and I have two I have been looking at. One is 2013 done 77,000km and the other 2014 done 47,000 km. A Mitzy agent told me a crash repair needed just one battery cell replaced costing NZD 8000 which got my attention. I had made that call interested in a pre purchase inspection NZD 240 and a full battery check was extra, total now NZD 480 and they would need the car for a minimum of a day - maybe 2. It seems there is a many step by step process for a full battery check, discharging it along the way.
It seems sensible to stump up for their battery check first and if it passes, do the pre purchase check.
I visited again today and the same service manager did not seem pleased to see me. He advised that while the PHEV can be serviced, because the Jap import cant talk to their test equipment, not everything can be checked. That has put the pussy among the pidgeons, as I dont want to get caught out with a dud. Short term, the Consumer Guarantee Act deems it must be "Fit for Purpose" but over time I can see "Fair wear and tear" being their defense. Mechanical waranties exclude pre existing conditions. So what to do if the Mitzi agents here run for cover in terms being able to assess a PHEV for purchase. I am aware there are PHEV apps if you know how to interpret them, I just need to be confident in the state of health of the battery?

Part of enjoying a car is having a good dealer at hand.
Seems the dealer is not very cooperative. Is there another one around?
I'm not familair with imports, but it would be surprising if their MUT3 tool would not be able to read it?
Get an ODB2 adapter and the PHEVwatchdog app and you'll be able to see all cell voltages, so you can have a quick assessment yourself.

Good luck!

Back