Canada Outlander PHEV Owner Check-In

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checking in from Peterborough, ON. Just picked up our Labrador Black base model on Friday morning. Great service from Peterborough Mitsubishi. Had a hitch and wiring installed before we picked it up.

So far very pleased with the vehicle. Just charging on home outlet but may look into a level 2 charger in the future. Trying to find out if I can use an outlet at work to charge but since my commute round trip is only 32 clicks it isn't really necessary.

Still figuring out the ins and outs it all, for which this forum has been helpful already. Thanks! Managed to get Mitsubishi Remote II app working, although
Android Auto on my phone has been a problem so far, I'll figure it out though. ODBlink LX arrives on Wed. via Amazon.

Cheers all,

Trev

Checking in from Toronto, I will pick-up a 2018 Rally Red GT a week from Monday.

Pretty excited about the car and with 36-37km commute I hope to use very little gas charging overnight and at work. Hope not to be disappointing by the EV range.

Appreciate all the good info in this forum, thanks all for sharing your knowledge.

Talking about that, about the previous post, @tmiddel, what are you getting the ODBlink LX for? Just vehicle diagnostics? Thx

Hello, new PHEV owner joining the forum. I have been researching the PHEV ever since my wife got her Audi A3 E-tron a year and a half ago. I thought the Ontario election had sealed my fate as an ICE driver, but then found out about the $7k rebate still being available for in-stock EV and hybrid vehicles. Traded in my Outback for a Titanium Grey Outlander SE PHEV and so far it has been very nice.

I was a bit worried about the overall power, I had read not to let the battery get too low in hilly areas, but it seems decently peppy. The A3 E-tron is definitely more sports car, while the PHEV is of course more practical. My wife has range envy now too. With the larger PHEV battery, I'm getting apprx 40-45km per charge, compared to her apprx 30km.

It's my first car with Android Auto and it's great having the maps on the main screen. The dealer was worried it wouldn't work with my Blackberry, but no issues. Haven't tried the Remote Control app yet.

Looking for a Level 2 charger and see good reviews for the portable Duosida unit on Amazon. The supplied OEM charger seems good quality, but it's nice to have faster charging for the weekend! I tried a ChaDeMo fast charger, but the cost is high enough you might as well buy gas, and the Leaf drivers really need them more than the PHEV does.

MSMatt
Cambridge, Ont

Welcome all new members!

me18PHEV said:
@tmiddel, what are you getting the ODBlink LX for? Just vehicle diagnostics? Thx
It works well with the PHEVwatchdog app that will keep track of your battery status. Personally I won't drive without it. The car will work well without active involvement, but like most people on this board, I like to be engaged in the active management of the battery charge and it shows you exactly what is going on and how you can be more economical. It will change your driving style as you have 'glide mode' that is like putting your gear in Neutral on an ICE car. It's amazing how far the car rolls in B0. Thus your traffic lights approach is going to change.

Enjoy exploring the new features of this unique car.
phevy

Checking in from Laval, Québec

Enjoy my first ever SUV. Had an 2013 Sonata Hybrid before. Was able to get lots of rebate and government incentives and bought a base model.

We had an issue with a battery relay which has been discussed on the technical forum

2018 SE
Labrador Black

Greetings from Winnipeg.
My wife and I signed the documents last night and look forward to pick up our new 2018 SE Touring on Friday.
We will be mostly be using it for short commutes.

Given that Winnipeg often gets below -20C (and sometimes -30C) and that we don't have a garage, I'm looking forward to learning all the preheating, battery warming and EV only tricks.

Welcome Sabrecoach and PHEVinWinnipeg.
Hope you've had time to do a lot of reading here as there is heaps of info shared.
And for all enjoy the ride now we have warmer weather to increase the range. :cool:

I'm hesitating between this and a Niro PHEV.

I'm interested to see what Canadians think of the battery degradation issue reported elsewhere. We have colder climes, so our batteries should heat less. Still the idea of loosing 20% capacity over 5 years is not very appealing.

FWIW I own a Volt which has virtually no battery degradation described.

Thus far it seems most of the battery degradation seems software induced. It's frustrating that MMC is not yet stepping up to the plate to fix this issue.
But a work a round seems to be to have the battery software reset every 24000 km. This should avoid the reported degradation.
For me the Nero is no option and thus far the Outlander has delivered on it's promise for me
YMMV
phevy

Phevy said:
Thus far it seems most of the battery degradation seems software induced. It's frustrating that MMC is not yet stepping up to the plate to fix this issue.
But a work a round seems to be to have the battery software reset every 24000 km. This should avoid the reported degradation.
For me the Nero is no option and thus far the Outlander has delivered on it's promise for me
YMMV
phevy

Is that reset part of the routine maintenance schedule, or something that I have to specifically force the dealer to do?

Checking in From the Rocky Mountains of BC.

Bought a MY2019 Rally Red base model on Aug 1 2019. (In stock) Mostly drive around town so the EV is useful for me. No real long trips yet So far I have bought 35.00 of fuel and have about half of that left. :mrgreen: The ICE starts more on the colder mornings now. I would have gone 100% electric with a Chevy Bolt, but after a discussion with my wife she felt that something a bit bigger for the highway was better. (I think there may have been some range anxiety as well) No Hitch or anything as I don't tow anything.

I picked up the Vgate ODB2 unit for PHEV watchdog and I have watched lots of Andy and Greg's videos. My dealer didnt know about the triple procedure so I have put them in touch with North Bay Mitsubishi (Thanks Greg)
I'm quite happy that I'm not turning a V6 engine at the stop lights.

I'm less interested in saving money (DC fast chargers are still free in my area Shhh dont tell anyone) and more interested in doing more to help combat climate change. Its not much, but if we ALL did it Wow! :eek:

Umm ... I go up to Cranbrook all the time. Where is the mystery location of the free fast charger? Are you sure it's not just the Level 2, which takes about 3.5 hours for a full charge? I know there is one of those at the dealer and one at the shopping mall.

the Chargepoint app shows a free DC charger at the BC Hydro building, Cranbrook St N at 1st St. All other chargers shown in that app for Cranbrook are AC.

BCbackroader said:
the Chargepoint app shows a free DC charger at the BC Hydro building, Cranbrook St N at 1st St. All other chargers shown in that app for Cranbrook are AC.

Cool. Sort of :) I didn't know about that location, but it is in the middle of an industrial area. I'd need to ask myself if it was worth 1/2 hour of my time to sit there for a charge ... probably not :) I will have to drive by just to see how close a meal spot it!

Greeting from Laval, Quebec, Canada. New PHEV 2019 Quartz Brown co-owner (it's the wife car) we jumped the gun for the environmental conciousness. Having lots of trouble with the remote control app for android and lot's of question that I hope to find answer in this forum.

Mellobob,

The DC fast charger is located just off of Cranbrook Street behind Baker Street. You can find it with the BC Hydro app. Its about 7 minutes walk from some great pubs/Restaurants and the downtown street (Baker Street) in Cranbrook.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/114013

Hey! Checking in from Petawawa, ON! Picked up a 2020 SE a few weeks ago, absolutely loving it. I work a few kms away, so EV mode works great for my weekly commute.

Back