US Outlander PHEV Owner Check-In

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

Hey everyone - the cars are here - where are you? :cool:

I picked-up my 2018 metallic grey SEL on the 16th in Minneapolis and drove it home to San Antonio. 1300 miles on the clock so far and I'm looking forward to driving this car until the wheels fall off!

Andy

---
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart EV (lease ends in Feb, '18)

Congrats! My Mercury Gray GT should be arriving at the dealer in the next few days. Then I’m having them install the parking sensors and tow hitch, so it may be a few more days after that. It’s been a very cold winter in Vermont, so I’m interested to see how many miles I can really get out of a charge. My commute to work is 10 miles each way, and there’s a free charger at the office, so I’m hoping to do most of my commuting without gas. Not sure how realistic that is with the need for heat though.

generaltso said:
Congrats! My Mercury Gray GT should be arriving at the dealer in the next few days. Then I’m having them install the parking sensors and tow hitch, so it may be a few more days after that. It’s been a very cold winter in Vermont, so I’m interested to see how many miles I can really get out of a charge. My commute to work is 10 miles each way, and there’s a free charger at the office, so I’m hoping to do most of my commuting without gas. Not sure how realistic that is with the need for heat though.
I left the Twin Cities at 6pm and drove to Des Moines the first night. The lowest temp I saw on the display was -7°F. The car will happily run down the road with the cruise set for 70, making 78 degree heat and feeding the heated seats in EV mode. In that condition, a full charge provided about 12 miles of EV range. Preheating the car (really easy to do on shore power from the cell phone app) will mean you can keep the heat off, the heated seat on low, and you should be able to do all electric drives out and back if you want to. I look forward to your report!

I'll be adding a hitch as well once we get a bit closer to spring. I'd be interested in what your dealer installs - there's not a lot of info yet in the aftermarket world for our cars.

:D just picked mine up from the dealer yesterday! Black ruby pearl with brown interior SEL with a few dealer added options from factory.

I wanted something a little more spacious and econominal to balance out my other gas guzzling car and this seems like the best option out there.

I'm really impressed with the car so far. I have a 20 mile commute each way to work so I'll get a good combination of gas and electric.

Got my Mercury Grey metallic GT PHEV on Jan 9 from the dealers. I bought it site unseen and without a test drive. I was the first one the dealer had in (and sold). So far so good except my wife is using it for her daily driver!!! She has about a 20 mile one commute. She is able to make it one way all electric. Charging has been a breeze. :mrgreen:

generaltso said:
Then I’m having them install the parking sensors and tow hitch, so it may be a few more days after that.
generaltso - I'm even more interested in the make/part number of the hitch you have installed. I can confirm that because of our transverse muffler the aftermarket hitches for the electrically challenged ;) Outlanders will not fit.

AndyH said:
generaltso said:
Then I’m having them install the parking sensors and tow hitch, so it may be a few more days after that.
generaltso - I'm even more interested in the make/part number of the hitch you have installed. I can confirm that because of our transverse muffler the aftermarket hitches for the electrically challenged ;) Outlanders will not fit.

I’m going with the OEM hitch (part# MZ314710) and wire harnesss (part# MZ314612). I was considering going aftermarket, but now I’m glad I didn’t since it likely wouldn’t have fit.

generaltso said:
AndyH said:
generaltso said:

I’m going with the OEM hitch (part# MZ314710) and wire harnesss (part# MZ314612). I was considering going aftermarket, but now I’m glad I didn’t since it likely wouldn’t have fit.
Thanks! Two of my local dealers quoted US$599.66 as their 'best' cash and carry price for the OEM hitch. The aftermarket should catch-up before too long.

I also learned that the local dealers don't want to sell service/shop manuals - they say the official Mitsubishi DVDs are for dealers only. That's something else I hope the aftermarket fixes.

AndyH said:
I also learned that the local dealers don't want to sell service/shop manuals - they say the official Mitsubishi DVDs are for dealers only. That's something else I hope the aftermarket fixes.

You might start to dig here and see what you find:
http://mmc-manuals.ru/Mitsubishi_Outlander_III/en

Harald said:
AndyH said:

Thanks Harald - that was useful!

Harald said:
AndyH said:

Thank you for sharing this.

Now if only we can get the PHEV Manuals to include 2018.

I am in the process of completing a lease on a 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum vehicle. Now my question. How does the Outlander GT PHEV compare to other vehicles in terms of comfort and driving dynamics. The Toyota has great leather seats that are comfortable. How have you found the Outlander thus far. Also the Toyota is very quiet and smooth driving. It is a heavier vehicle as well. Also the Toyota sold for $52,000 loaded versus the Outlander at $42,500 for the GT with a few goodies like front and back parking assist. I have ordered a GT but have not really driven the vehicle for any length of time. I don't want to be disappointed. Tell me if it drives like a solid vehicle? I wanted a more lux type plug in but have a hard time justifying a Volvo XC90 T8 for $75,000. What is the ride like? What about NVH?
Thanks,
Manny

Hi all!

Super stoked to have gotten my white SEL this Saturday. Loving it!
Looks like 3 of the 6 available at my dealer found new homes while I was there...

Manny, I think I can address some of your concerns since my wife drives a 2012 Highlander hybrid limited....
Interior quality is mostly on par, all leather surfaces look great. Seats are equally comfy. A bit less adjustment in the SEL, but I don't know how the GT compares.
Handling is very similar. Although snappier acceleration and much, much less noise obviously without the screaming V6 un front of you... suspension a bit more firm.
All in all, seems super solid. I've only driven about 70 miles so far so I'll certainly have more input later...

A few gripes tho... 1) no air registers in the back?!? 2)plastics in the interior don't look too great... 3) driving position is ok, could be better for me, mostly the wheel is too close to the dash even fully extended.

But all in all I'm super happy....

Marc

I've been following the Outlander PHEV progress since 2013... Was supposed to be here in 2014, 2015, 2016, then summer 2017, then December - finally January! Picked my GT up last Friday. I drive too many dirt roads, so held out for the Quartz Brown since it matches the local dirt. #:^) The dealer had to fly to the next state to pick it up from another dealer so it had 700 miles on it when I got it.

So far I love it! Exactly as I expected with a few technical difference that make it better.

I do not like the dash displays - too little info on too many different screens. I have to flip back and forth frequently to monitor miles left, power flow, engine status, history, regen... And I can't believe it does not display individual tire pressure. Are we stuck in 2002?

But otherwise it's great. My weekday commute is only 12 miles round trip so all electric.

So far no luck with any of 5 different OBD2 apps with either android or apple devices, bluetooth or wifi adapters. Starting to think my OBD port is dead. May have the dealer take a look at that.

I'm finding I need to keep acceleration under 60kw if I don't want the engine starting. And was surprised this morning that the B3-B5 regen modes didn't act any different than B2 due to having a full charge. (I didn't pre-heat this morning so it was showing 24 mile range)

Working on the paperwork for the Maryland $1200 refund of sales tax. But the $5800 federal tax credit has to wait until next year.

Given the PHEV version is about $5000 more than the equivalent gas model - the real savings won't be in gas, they will be in taxes.

Fun to have a car that runs on West Virginia coal! OK technically solar since my panels generate about 10KWH per day.

N6IO said:
I do not like the dash displays - too little info on too many different screens. I have to flip back and forth frequently to monitor miles left, power flow, engine status, history, regen... And I can't believe it does not display individual tire pressure. Are we stuck in 2002?

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Hello from New Jersey. I've had my Ruby Black Pearl with Black interior for just a couple weeks so I'm learning about all the unique features. Been driving an EV for 6+ years and have a few of them in the family. Need to get the hitch added soon.
ATTACH]
ATTACH]

Good morning, America.

A pearl white outlander just landed in my garage here in California.

I went to dealer with my heart set in the red one (new California HOV sticker is red) but my girls like the white one. “You have to go with girls!” The Sales lady said. So white it is...Paid $200 more for the paint and saved $295 for the “PHEV” lively, which is worth in the long run. Hopefully when the stickers come, the girls don’t change their mind.

Tai

Hi, I'm a little late to the party here but we picked up a Quartz Brown GT (dark brown interior) from Lescovar Mitsubishi in Kennewick, WA on January 20th. We made the 2+ hour drive from Portland to Kennewick because it was the closest location with a brown/brown that didn't have the obnoxious decals on the side.

The only negative on the experience was waiting 2 months for the factory trailer hitch and harness, and having to drop an additional $550 to get those installed at the local dealership.

We've only put about 1500 miles on so far but am very satisfied with the comfort and above expected range in EV mode.

Steve

Back