Bluetooth calling - which speaker?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonhache

Can I get some input on where the audio comes out when in a bluetooth call? I'm in a 2018 left hand drive.

When I place a call, the audio seems to only come out of one speaker, which is the little one by the mirror on the passenger (right) side.

I'm wondering if this is intentional, or if someone at Mitsu forgot to flip a setting on the left hand drive cars. It would make sense to me to have it come out the speaker on the left, closest to the driver.

Thanks

J

And, for some reason, the audio system limits the volume of the phone call to 11. Maybe that's an homage to Spinal Tap or something, but it's annoying that I can crank music way up but I'm not allowed to crank the volume of a phone call that I'm trying hear.

Silliness. What about those with RHD cars? Does the audio come out the left? If so, there must be a way to swap it. Someone more skilled than I would have to find out how...

J

generaltso said:
And, for some reason, the audio system limits the volume of the phone call to 11. Maybe that's an homage to Spinal Tap or something, but it's annoying that I can crank music way up but I'm not allowed to crank the volume of a phone call that I'm trying hear.
When playing music, you don't have a microphone in the same room on "record" mode.

The acoustic feedback would be more than just a decent whistling...
:)

Harald said:
When playing music, you don't have a microphone in the same room on "record" mode.

The acoustic feedback would be more than just a decent whistling...
:)

True. But somehow, every other car I've ever owned with Bluetooth has allowed me to turn the volume of a phone call up to the point that I could easily hear it.

generaltso said:
... turn the volume of a phone call up to the point that I could easily hear it.

Volume is more than sufficient in my PHEV.

Might be that you can compare your car to others? Not just by the number but comparing actual volume?

Yes, I can compare. I own a 2013-14 model, and the maximum phone volume is considerably higher than the 2018 model I have been driving for the last ten days. It is barely enough on the new car to hear the phone properly at high speed and insufficient if the call quality is lacking or if you drive with an open window.

That is an oddity I noticed too - the sound on the phone only comes from the right side speaker. This is in contrast to our Mercedes which when using the phone Bluetooth would turn the entire car into a speaker, so loud even the backseats can join the conversation.

Still one is a Mitsubishi the other is a Mercedes, and the sound quality both receiving & transmitting is fine so it doesn't bother me. What does however is the fact my father's Sony Xperia refuses to work properly with the Mitsubishi's Bluetooth system along with the Remote Control App for that matter.

I have seen it posted that you can flip the speaker to the other side by going into the audio system's hidden menu and selecting either right hand drive or left hand drive. The default seems to be for the audio to come out on the passenger side for either setting.

Does anyone know if there is a separate microphone for the phone, or does it use the disabled speaker as a microphone? If it is using the disabled speaker that might explain why it uses the passenger side speaker. I assume this might mean flipping the drive would make you harder to hear on the bluetooth speaker.

Did you see how to get in to the hidden menu? I'd like to try this.

J

N6IO said:
I have seen it posted that you can flip the speaker to the other side by going into the audio system's hidden menu and selecting either right hand drive or left hand drive. The default seems to be for the audio to come out on the passenger side for either setting.

Does anyone know if there is a separate microphone for the phone, or does it use the disabled speaker as a microphone? If it is using the disabled speaker that might explain why it uses the passenger side speaker. I assume this might mean flipping the drive would make you harder to hear on the bluetooth speaker.

Apparently MMNA has issued a June 2018 firmware update to dealers for the 2018 Outlander PHEV that resolves the phone call volume limitation and also fixes an issue with the system sometimes not logging charging cost estimates correctly. You can visit your dealer to get the update installed.

Good to know. Mine is already nagging me about service (oil changes are set to 6 months, it seems), so I'll bring it to the dealership for this one and have them do the updates at the same time.

J

crussellsprout said:
Apparently MMNA has issued a June 2018 firmware update to dealers for the 2018 Outlander PHEV that resolves the phone call volume limitation and also fixes an issue with the system sometimes not logging charging cost estimates correctly. You can visit your dealer to get the update installed.

crussellsprout said:

Do you have the code or recall notice so I can inquire about this? My car is due for service this week and it would be nice to get all of this done in one visit.

Has anyone been able to confirm a software fix/upgrade for the volume limitation? If so, can someone please provide a reference to provide to the dealer? My dealer dealer is unaware of such a fix. Thanks in advance.

voxjohn said:
Has anyone been able to confirm a software fix/upgrade for the volume limitation? If so, can someone please provide a reference to provide to the dealer? My dealer dealer is unaware of such a fix. Thanks in advance.

Yes, the fix is available and works. Your dealer should be able to look it up by VIN.

Any advice for a good bluetooth car speaker for Mitsu? I'm currently choosing between Motorola (longest battery time) and Jabra (balanced quite well in my opinion), grabbed information here: https://liamscar.com/best-bluetooth-in-car-speakerphone/ Just gathering others' opinions on what is pretty solid. Thoughts?

Back