2018 Outlander PHEV speedometer inacuate?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3057

Hey!

Just got my new 2018 phev love it so far!

I did notice though when driving, cars seemed to keep passing me more
Than normal.

Proabably not too accurate but seemed to work well with my previous car, I used
And app to test the speedometer.

The speedometer on the phev seems to be about 3-6 km/h faster than the actual speed.

To clarify the phev is showing 110 and the app shows about 103-105.

I did try with cruise control and fcm off and without cruise control.

Same issue

Has anyone else noticed this? The dealer doesn’t really think there is an issue.

Every car need to report the speed on the clock higher then what it is in reality, else if the car show speed below then what it is the reality, there is a big penalty for the car manufacture

5% to 10% error is absolutely normal ...

I did not notice the speedometer accuracy on the PHEV to be better or worst then any of the other cars I do and I did own

PS: My classic rule .. if the speed limit is 50km/h I drive up to 60km/h per the car dash .. and in case of 130km/h limit .. up to almost 150km/h .. this normally compensate the inaccuracy, and maybe exceed the limit by a very little margin that 99.9% is penalty free.

Thanks for the reply!

It seems that is the first car that I have seen this with that I have owned.

At least I shouldn’t get a speeding ticket lol.

The 2013 one I have is 8% inaccurate. About normal.
Don't forget that things like tyre wear and tyre size tolerance must be compensated for. If the car were to be faster than the speedometer indicates, the manufacturer could be made liable for speeding fines.

Yep legally it can't show slower than the actual speed. When you take into account Tyre wear etc 5-10 percent over is typical.

One thing I do is check my cars' speedometers against GPS measured speed. Easiest way is to download and use the Waze app on your phone as it overlays the speed right on the map. I've found my 2018 GT is about 1 MPH slower than what Waze is reporting.

My 2018 GT indicates 104 kmh while actually driving at 100 as per my GPS. The same 4 kmh difference seems to be constant at all speeds.

My 2018 shows 100kph when gps says 94kph. Percentage seems to stay the same at slower speeds - gps said 47 when speedo showed 50 kph. Odometer checked out as absolutely accurate.

My previous car was a Mercedes ML and the speedometer was very close to the real speed shown on the GPS. It is nearly impossible to be exact at all speeds, the centrifugal force increases the tire diameter when speed increase. The wear and tire pressure are another factor.
But 5% optimistic on my new car will be 7% on used tires. Really not acceptable!

ThudnBlundr said:
Why unacceptable? It's not really going to affect anyone's quality of life if they're doing 55mph instead of 60mph :roll:
Or when he simply has to remember to put 65 on the clock instead of 60 if he insists in going 60?

Andrev said:
My previous car was a Mercedes ML and the speedometer was very close to the real speed shown on the GPS. It is nearly impossible to be exact at all speeds, the centrifugal force increases the tire diameter when speed increase. The wear and tire pressure are another factor.
But 5% optimistic on my new car will be 7% on used tires. Really not acceptable!
What is the big deal if you can get exact speed on your smartphone/ And even then - what is the problem of using the speedometer? Your speed is dictated by road conditions and other traffic. You only need to memorize the indication of a few key speeds to prevent tickets.

Andrev said:
What is the big deal if you can get exact speed on your smartphone? And even then - what is the problem of using the speedometer? Your speed is dictated by road conditions and other traffic. You only need to memorize the indication of a few key speeds to prevent tickets -or, the Lord forbid!, arriving at your destination 25 seconds later.

Just a matter of accuracy. We are living in a world of high technology and seeing a car manufacturer unable to give you the exact speed you are driving is frustrating and make me questioning all other informations the software system is expelling!
I doubt the odometer is right if the speedometer is wrong. A good way to make believe you are driving more economically than you really do.

Odo and speedo are not having the same tolerances.
Like mentioned the the Speedo cannot show less then actual speed, but the odo will be tolerated around the actual distance travelled.
I have GPS speed on both Waze and PHEV WatchDog, so no need to worry about the real speed.
:roll:

Andrev said:
Just a matter of accuracy. We are living in a world of high technology and seeing a car manufacturer unable to give you the exact speed you are driving is frustrating and make me questioning all other informations the software system is expelling!
You are missing the point. It is not that they can't show the real speed. They don't want to show the real speed. On purpose. When you obtain speed from the OBD port, rather than from the dashboard, it is spot on.
Andrev said:
I doubt the odometer is right if the speedometer is wrong. A good way to make believe you are driving more economically than you really do.
ODO-gate? :lol:

Unpleasant speedometer along with some unpleasant forum’s participants preferring staying badly informed! I am out without regrets !

Not badly informed - we know it under-reads and many of us know by how much. It's just that it doesn't matter to us as we can modify our driving accordingly

And no one was unpleasant until your latest post called others unpleasant :roll:

Back