Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EV Only Mileage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 pm 

reeseman wrote:
Okay, I failed to realize it is now dark when I leave for work in the morning as my hours have changed. My headlights are what is making the mileage different. :roll:
You can't be serious. Which would mean you meant sarcasm? But I don't understand why. People are trying to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 am 

anko wrote:
]You can't be serious. Which would mean you meant sarcasm? But I don't understand why. People are trying to help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWh1bJ772Mk

At 2m15sec ....

"but it soon became apparent that driving with the lights on was sapping much needed power from the batteries"

Said by an automotive professional journalist about driving an iMiev years go on Fifth Gear

:shock: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 am 

With one (or two) of these?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 am 

anko wrote:
With one (or two) of these?

I only know ...

It was with Mitsubishi lights ... and we know, there are a lot of similarity between iMiev and our PHEV ... so ...

Anyhow ... if it was valid "comment" on a iMiev ... I guess is equally relevant for the PHEV :mrgreen:

Luckily ... we have the "dog" which can show us in real time the difference in energy flowing from the battery in different working conditions ... but ... the guys from Fifth Gear did not had a "dog" at the time of filming :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 am 

The front and rear lights will draw a maximum of 300W (and that's pushing it). That's around 1% of the amount needed to keep the PHEV moving. I'm not sure I would notice a 1% drop in range...

If you preheat the car, it won't need to use the battery to heat the car, so it will improve your range. If you give it a few minutes to charge once it's warm, it will be able to recharge the battery, as it takes much less power to maintain the heat than to raise it from ambient

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 pm 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
The front and rear lights will draw a maximum of 300W (and that's pushing it). That's around 1% of the amount needed to keep the PHEV moving. I'm not sure I would notice a 1% drop in range...

If you preheat the car, it won't need to use the battery to heat the car, so it will improve your range. If you give it a few minutes to charge once it's warm, it will be able to recharge the battery, as it takes much less power to maintain the heat than to raise it from ambient

300w = 1% ... implies using an average of 30kw while driving ... which is true only on motorway at high speed

For example , in my daily trip I'm consuming 2.5kwh for 25min drive ... so an extra 300w load, will cause 0.15kwh that is 6%

6% of the ideal 52km EV range, is 3.1km ... so it is something visible in a trip.

Clearly .... 300w is nothing compared to the peak 4000w used by the electric heater ... which I normally don't use, mainly due to the high risk of starting the ICE

Last edited by elm70 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 am 

I fail to see how you can get anywhere using 2.5kW for 25 minutes. That means you've used just over 1 kWh. At 5km per kWh, that's an average of just over 12km/h!

If the car is warmed by the preheater, the ICE will not need to start as the car is warm already. 4kW is the max heater draw - when the car is warm it will use far less than 4kW to maintain the heat

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:10 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
I fail to see how you can get anywhere using 2.5kW for 25 minutes. That means you've used just over 1 kWh. At 5km per kWh, that's an average of just over 12km/h!

If the car is warmed by the preheater, the ICE will not need to start as the car is warm already. 4kW is the max heater draw - when the car is warm it will use far less than 4kW to maintain the heat

Right ... I forgot some h in kwh above ... I did correct my post.

2.5kwh in 25min is about an average 6kw usage .. which is looking compatible with city usage ... actually I'm sure people can do even better then me, using even less power.
2.5kwh and 25min is what reported by the dog, for a 11km trip with average speed a bit below 30km/h

Yes ... heater use max 4kw, (as I wrote above, as peak) .. still even if the car is pre warmed , I'm not sure which are all the delta temperature consider ... so in my case I normally don't take the risk, as well ... keeping active the heating, on next car restart the ICE can fire up immediately ... that's why my car has always 15C configured as cabin temperature