Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Prospective USA Owner questions- looking for feedback
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

dlssg77 wrote:
Hello all-
I literally just learned about the Outlander PHEV 2 weeks ago when I was looking up hybrid SUVs. I've done similar searches previously, but for some reason, The Outlander PHEV never came up. Currently, I have a 2016.5 MAzda CX-5 and I am sooo tired of buying gas every 7-10 days! My car before that was a Lexus CT200h. I loved the little hatchback, but my kids were getting too big for it. I can't afford my dream car (Tesla) right now, so the Outlander PHEV seems like a happy medium. But, I have questions and would love the feedback of current owners:

1. It appears like the 2019 is not going to be released in the US anytime soon, right? (That is what I seem to be gathering from some of the threads and even an online chat with a dealership.)
2. I drive approximately 25 miles each way M-F to/from work. My job has plug-in stations. Would it be worth purchasing my own charging station for home?
3. I have read that the driver seat in 2018 is uncomfortable. Do many of you find that to be true?
4. Thoughts about resale/trade-in value? Since there are so few sold in the US, what kind of impact, if any, does that have on trading it in after about 3 or so years?

TIA

1. I would wait for MY2019 if possible, extensive changes mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3755 | It's true at this point, no one knows when exactly the fully updated version will arrive in the USA

2. Keep in mind Mitsubishi does not offer battery-drive degradation warranty, and if doing a full discharge each way every day, battery degradation will be significant, even with the BCM protecting the low end and a little from the high end (guess is 30-90% range)

3. The front seats are one of the few major interior changes for MY2019, the angle and bolstering look significantly improved

4. It wont be good for at least two reasons: 1) Mitsubishi heavily discounts off MSRP, including the Outlander PHEV, and 2) at this stage, phev's/bev's advance considerably with the next generation and platform, which for the Outlander, is only two years away and is expected to double its current battery-drive range: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... evelopment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:54 am 

2019 is a better model in many respects. I already have 2016. For the 2.4 you will not need charging at work in winter. It will give at least 28 miles in winter . I tried for a whole day and booked it. Coming in 2 days. It will take 1 hr more to charge than old one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am 

Woodman411 wrote:
dlssg77 wrote:
Hello all-
I literally just learned about the Outlander PHEV 2 weeks ago when I was looking up hybrid SUVs. I've done similar searches previously, but for some reason, The Outlander PHEV never came up. Currently, I have a 2016.5 MAzda CX-5 and I am sooo tired of buying gas every 7-10 days! My car before that was a Lexus CT200h. I loved the little hatchback, but my kids were getting too big for it. I can't afford my dream car (Tesla) right now, so the Outlander PHEV seems like a happy medium. But, I have questions and would love the feedback of current owners:

1. It appears like the 2019 is not going to be released in the US anytime soon, right? (That is what I seem to be gathering from some of the threads and even an online chat with a dealership.)
2. I drive approximately 25 miles each way M-F to/from work. My job has plug-in stations. Would it be worth purchasing my own charging station for home?
3. I have read that the driver seat in 2018 is uncomfortable. Do many of you find that to be true?
4. Thoughts about resale/trade-in value? Since there are so few sold in the US, what kind of impact, if any, does that have on trading it in after about 3 or so years?

TIA

1. I would wait for MY2019 if possible, extensive changes mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3755 | It's true at this point, no one knows when exactly the fully updated version will arrive in the USA

2. Keep in mind Mitsubishi does not offer battery-drive degradation warranty, and if doing a full discharge each way every day, battery degradation will be significant, even with the BCM protecting the low end and a little from the high end (guess is 30-90% range)

3. The front seats are one of the few major interior changes for MY2019, the angle and bolstering look significantly improved

4. It wont be good for at least two reasons: 1) Mitsubishi heavily discounts off MSRP, including the Outlander PHEV, and 2) at this stage, phev's/bev's advance considerably with the next generation and platform, which for the Outlander, is only two years away and is expected to double its current battery-drive range: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... evelopment

Thanks for your perspective. I was thinking i could work a deal for the 2018 bc they're probably going to get rid of them. Also, are there any updates to when the 2019 will be issued stateside?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:53 am 

dlssg77 wrote:
Woodman411 wrote:
dlssg77 wrote:
Hello all-

TIA

Thanks for your perspective. I was thinking i could work a deal for the 2018 bc they're probably going to get rid of them. Also, are there any updates to when the 2019 will be issued stateside?

No update at this time. I've contacted a few dealers, and they're unsure as well, 5 months ago they said it would be here in November, and here we are in December. Typically one can get a better deal when both the old and new models are together on the same lot, but with the relatively low volume of the Outlander PHEV, who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm 

Consider Leasing. I got into a 2018 SEL in June for $276/mo for 3 years.

You're upside down on a purchase for about that long anyway. EV tech is changing so fast right now that being able to just turn it in is attractive. At least that's my rationale!:-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:59 pm 

Next generation PHeV with 68 miles range is not to years away, it is planned after 2023.. Long way to go to balance weight energy ratio.