Prospective USA Owner questions- looking for feedback

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlssg77

Hello all-
I literally just learned about the Outlander PHEV 2 weeks ago when I was looking up hybrid SUVs. I've done similar searches previously, but for some reason, The Outlander PHEV never came up. Currently, I have a 2016.5 MAzda CX-5 and I am sooo tired of buying gas every 7-10 days! My car before that was a Lexus CT200h. I loved the little hatchback, but my kids were getting too big for it. I can't afford my dream car (Tesla) right now, so the Outlander PHEV seems like a happy medium. But, I have questions and would love the feedback of current owners:

1. It appears like the 2019 is not going to be released in the US anytime soon, right? (That is what I seem to be gathering from some of the threads and even an online chat with a dealership.)
2. I drive approximately 25 miles each way M-F to/from work. My job has plug-in stations. Would it be worth purchasing my own charging station for home?
3. I have read that the driver seat in 2018 is uncomfortable. Do many of you find that to be true?
4. Thoughts about resale/trade-in value? Since there are so few sold in the US, what kind of impact, if any, does that have on trading it in after about 3 or so years?

TIA

Picked my 2018 up about a month ago. Base package, located in Atlanta.
So far, I absolutely love it. Moved from an Audi Q7 diesel I bought new and couldn't stomach the X5e sticker price. Even the base package has nice leather seats and a quiet interior.
I'm 6', 220lb and I find the seat fairly comfortable.
I had a 220v charger at home already, and use the 110v at work. For me, it's definitely handy to have the 220v fast charger. If work already has a level 2 charger, the trickle charger included will be perfectly adequate.

At 25 miles each way you'll need to charge at both ends of the trip. If you have free charging at work, use it!

You get a charger with the car. It's a "slow" version which runs on 100volts. I think it's about 5 to 8 hours. I had an existing 220 outlet in the parking area so I got a level 2 charger which simply plugs in. I think it was under $200. No problems.

Seats are fine for me. I'm 5'10" and 162lbs. This is the first car in many that my wife can drive without using a pillow ... she's 5'2" and 120 lbs. So, she's happy ... and I don't need to toss a cushion aside all the time :)

Time will tell on trade in. But, I think I'm always getting screwed on trades :)

BudRaymond said:
Picked my 2018 up about a month ago. Base package, located in Atlanta.
So far, I absolutely love it. Moved from an Audi Q7 diesel I bought new and couldn't stomach the X5e sticker price. Even the base package has nice leather seats and a quiet interior.
I'm 6', 220lb and I find the seat fairly comfortable.
I had a 220v charger at home already, and use the 110v at work. For me, it's definitely handy to have the 220v fast charger. If work already has a level 2 charger, the trickle charger included will be perfectly adequate.
Thanks for the feedback. If you live in ATL, then you deal with more traffic than I do in Baltimore/columbia. Glad you feel like it's a good purchase.

mellobob said:
At 25 miles each way you'll need to charge at both ends of the trip. If you have free charging at work, use it!

You get a charger with the car. It's a "slow" version which runs on 100volts. I think it's about 5 to 8 hours. I had an existing 220 outlet in the parking area so I got a level 2 charger which simply plugs in. I think it was under $200. No problems.

Seats are fine for me. I'm 5'10" and 162lbs. This is the first car in many that my wife can drive without using a pillow ... she's 5'2" and 120 lbs. So, she's happy ... and I don't need to toss a cushion aside all the time :)

Time will tell on trade in. But, I think I'm always getting screwed on trades :)

Good to know the seats aren't too bad. And yes, trade ins are hard to predict, but it does make me slightly concerned.

dlssg77 said:
One follow-up question: for those with at home charging stations, do you notice a huge increase in your electric bill?

It may or may not be very noticeable depending on your current usage.

I was using less that 2kWh per day before the PHEV and I'm using about 7kWh now.

This makes sense, because I'm drawing 10kWh (or thereabouts) each time I charge up the car, and I charge two to three times per week.

YMMV

I signed up for the off-peak rate with Georgia Power. From 11pm-8am every day it's $.01/kw for all your electric use. Even fully charging each night I should only see about a $3 increase per month.
Check with your utility and see what time of use options are available.

AndyInOz said:
dlssg77 said:
One follow-up question: for those with at home charging stations, do you notice a huge increase in your electric bill?

It may or may not be very noticeable depending on your current usage.

I was using less that 2kWh per day before the PHEV and I'm using about 7kWh now.

This makes sense, because I'm drawing 10kWh (or thereabouts) each time I charge up the car, and I charge two to three times per week.

YMMV
Thanks.

BudRaymond said:
I signed up for the off-peak rate with Georgia Power. From 11pm-8am every day it's $.01/kw for all your electric use. Even fully charging each night I should only see about a $3 increase per month.
Check with your utility and see what time of use options are available.

Good tip! Thanks.

dlssg77 said:
Hello all-
I literally just learned about the Outlander PHEV 2 weeks ago when I was looking up hybrid SUVs. I've done similar searches previously, but for some reason, The Outlander PHEV never came up. Currently, I have a 2016.5 MAzda CX-5 and I am sooo tired of buying gas every 7-10 days! My car before that was a Lexus CT200h. I loved the little hatchback, but my kids were getting too big for it. I can't afford my dream car (Tesla) right now, so the Outlander PHEV seems like a happy medium. But, I have questions and would love the feedback of current owners:

1. It appears like the 2019 is not going to be released in the US anytime soon, right? (That is what I seem to be gathering from some of the threads and even an online chat with a dealership.)
2. I drive approximately 25 miles each way M-F to/from work. My job has plug-in stations. Would it be worth purchasing my own charging station for home?
3. I have read that the driver seat in 2018 is uncomfortable. Do many of you find that to be true?
4. Thoughts about resale/trade-in value? Since there are so few sold in the US, what kind of impact, if any, does that have on trading it in after about 3 or so years?

TIA

1. I would wait for MY2019 if possible, extensive changes mentioned here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3755 | It's true at this point, no one knows when exactly the fully updated version will arrive in the USA

2. Keep in mind Mitsubishi does not offer battery-drive degradation warranty, and if doing a full discharge each way every day, battery degradation will be significant, even with the BCM protecting the low end and a little from the high end (guess is 30-90% range)

3. The front seats are one of the few major interior changes for MY2019, the angle and bolstering look significantly improved

4. It wont be good for at least two reasons: 1) Mitsubishi heavily discounts off MSRP, including the Outlander PHEV, and 2) at this stage, phev's/bev's advance considerably with the next generation and platform, which for the Outlander, is only two years away and is expected to double its current battery-drive range: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mitsubishi-committed-future-phev-development

2019 is a better model in many respects. I already have 2016. For the 2.4 you will not need charging at work in winter. It will give at least 28 miles in winter . I tried for a whole day and booked it. Coming in 2 days. It will take 1 hr more to charge than old one.

Woodman411 said:
dlssg77 said:
Hello all-

TIA

1. I would wait for MY2019 if possible, extensive changes mentioned here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3755 | It's true at this point, no one knows when exactly the fully updated version will arrive in the USA

2. Keep in mind Mitsubishi does not offer battery-drive degradation warranty, and if doing a full discharge each way every day, battery degradation will be significant, even with the BCM protecting the low end and a little from the high end (guess is 30-90% range)

3. The front seats are one of the few major interior changes for MY2019, the angle and bolstering look significantly improved

4. It wont be good for at least two reasons: 1) Mitsubishi heavily discounts off MSRP, including the Outlander PHEV, and 2) at this stage, phev's/bev's advance considerably with the next generation and platform, which for the Outlander, is only two years away and is expected to double its current battery-drive range: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mitsubishi-committed-future-phev-development
Thanks for your perspective. I was thinking i could work a deal for the 2018 bc they're probably going to get rid of them. Also, are there any updates to when the 2019 will be issued stateside?

dlssg77 said:
Woodman411 said:
dlssg77 said:
Hello all-

TIA

Thanks for your perspective. I was thinking i could work a deal for the 2018 bc they're probably going to get rid of them. Also, are there any updates to when the 2019 will be issued stateside?

No update at this time. I've contacted a few dealers, and they're unsure as well, 5 months ago they said it would be here in November, and here we are in December. Typically one can get a better deal when both the old and new models are together on the same lot, but with the relatively low volume of the Outlander PHEV, who knows.

Consider Leasing. I got into a 2018 SEL in June for $276/mo for 3 years.

You're upside down on a purchase for about that long anyway. EV tech is changing so fast right now that being able to just turn it in is attractive. At least that's my rationale!:-D

Next generation PHeV with 68 miles range is not to years away, it is planned after 2023.. Long way to go to balance weight energy ratio.

Back