Mitsubishi Outlander SUV sips 1.6L/100km

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

The plug-in hybrid version of Mitsubishi’s Outlander uses less fuel than a Prius.

It may sound like science fiction but a family-sized SUV that runs on electric power – which can be driven long distances and doesn’t cost the earth – is just around the corner.
Japanese car maker Mitsubishi is putting the finishing touches on its plug-in hybrid Outlander SUV before it goes on sale in June this year.

Pricing is yet to be confirmed but Mitsubishi is hoping to bring it in between $40,000 and $50,000 – under-cutting the $60,000 Holden Volt plug-in hybrid sedan by at least $10,000.

The Outlander SUV plug-in hybrid can travel 55km on electric power alone and then 880km using its petrol motor (compared to the Holden Volt which can travel 88km on electric power and about 400km on petrol power).

This range gives the Outlander a remarkable fuel consumption rating of 1.6L/100km; a Toyota Prius hybrid uses 3.7L/100km. “This will put future technology in the driveways of mums and dads today,” said Mitsubishi Australia vice president Paul Unerkov. “This is the first practical use of this technology.”

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has no space compromises compared with the regular petrol powered model and is available with five seats. A seven-seater may follow. (The Volt is a four-seater sedan with limited boot space).

“We need to price this car where the SUV market is,” he said. “There is no point pricing it out of reach. So our plan is to have this vehicle at a modest premium from our regular models.” The $40,000 to $50,000 SUV market is one of the biggest, so Mitsubishi has high hopes for the Outlander PHEV.

“Over a year, we aim to sell them in the thousands, not the hundreds,” he said, adding that price would not be confirmed until closer to the June launch this year. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV uses its petrol engine at cruising speeds and electric power at slow speeds and when moving from rest. The petrol engine is also used to charge the battery pack, as it does in the Holden Volt.

The Volt has longer battery-only range, but the Outlander has almost double the overall driving range. "We had the car on our stand at Sydney Motor Show last year and we got a lot of interest from families," said Unerkov. They saw this as a plug-in hybrid they could actually use every day and every weekend."
Read more in Outlander PHEV forum.

100 km in 1.6 liters? That is really impressive of Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. The less fuel consumption the more economic the car gets.

Fuel Consumpting Rate of 1.6L / 100km. On what driving modus is this based on? I believe the fuel tanks contains 45ltr. With a range of 880km I calculate a consumption of 5.1L / 100km (1 Ltr = 19.5km).
If I should drive 880km without stopping, in shich modus should I drive?
Is there already experience with the fuel consumption?

It really depends on the weather and road conditions of the journey.If it's colder and the road has more ups and downs you should spend mostly gas but if the conditions are more electric friendly then you should pend them in the hybrid mode

In practice the fuel consumption will largely depend on how often you can recharge the battery, during the tank's 45 liters of petrol.
The 1.6 or 1.9 L/100km figure is realized during the EEC test. This test is normalized, so equal for all vehicles, but not representative for normal use! For plug-in hybrids like the Outlander PHEV this test first uses all the electric energy stored in the battery and after that only a small amount of the fuel from the tank. During the 20 minutes of the test the car only travels 11 km; only during 2.5 minutes the speed is above 80 km/h, less than 0.5 minute at 120 km/h. The Outlander's ICE will only have used fuel during the acceleration to these motorway speeds. During the entire test the air-conditioning is switched off. Results are scaled to a liter/100km figure.
During electric drive the consumption will be around 8-10 kWh per 40-50 km's (no petrol), so 0.16-0.25 kWh/km.
During hybrid drive (with ICE) the average consumption will be around 45 liters per 600-750 km's, so 6-7.5 liter/100km (my estimates).
In both cases the higher consumption will occur at higher speeds, lower outside temperatures, and extended use of climate control (electric heating when ICE is not warmed up!!!), ........
If you only drive longer distances, or never recharge the battery from the net, the fuel consumption will only be slightly below that of a normal car this size and weight.
If you only drive shorter distances in pure EV-mode, then fully recharge before driving again, the vehicle becomes pure electric, so no fuel will be used at all. In this case the 45 liters of petrol will take you 100000 km or more, or rather you will take the 45 liters of petrol with you for 100000 km or more.

Great info Case, I was just wondering if you got this from a certain website if so could you possibly post the link here?

The Outlander is really posting good numbers on the fuel consumption tests, Mitsubishi really did their best i that regard.

What is the efficiency AFTER the battery runs out? In my Plug-in Prius, which only goes 11 miles on a charge, I still get 50mpg.

boyelectric said:
What is the efficiency AFTER the battery runs out? In my Plug-in Prius, which only goes 11 miles on a charge, I still get 50mpg.

That is a goo question, I haven't seen the answer anywhere, I'm sure it is more than 300 miles but who knows...

Ahhh... here it is, at least in the Dutch brochure, listed as "Branstofverbruik in hybride modus (gecombineerd) 5.8 l/100km"

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.nl/uploadedFiles/Parent_Site/General_Contents/Outlander%20PHEV%208%20Leaflet%20low%20pix.pdf

Which converts to 40.55 mpg in hybrid mode.

boyelectric said:
Ahhh... here it is, at least in the Dutch brochure, listed as "Branstofverbruik in hybride modus (gecombineerd) 5.8 l/100km"

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.nl/uploadedFiles/Parent_Site/General_Contents/Outlander%20PHEV%208%20Leaflet%20low%20pix.pdf

I'm looking at the numbers in the brochure and have realize that everything in there has already been posted at least once on the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV forum once, so that deserves a kudos for thi community of car freaks!! keep up the good work guys

Dannyboy said:
boyelectric said:

I'm looking at the numbers in the brochure and have realize that everything in there has already been posted at least once on the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV forum once, so that deserves a kudos for thi community of car freaks!! keep up the good work guys

That is the beauty of a community of car lovers, we will always have more info then any other website or brochure.

I was trying to read this Mitsubishi Outlander brochure but I've realized that you have a point about this forum having better info.

A trade-off between time and money comes into play as well. If you're willing to spend the time and the stations are available, you can stop at a 440V quick charge location an top off the battery pack (to 80%) in probably 10 to 15 minutes. I do this occasionally in my i-MiEV. But doing this every 30-40 minutes could get inconvenient. Quick charges are currently free in the US, but when they start charging for their use, there may not be economic incentive to use them for a hybrid vehicle. I can't wait until these cars are available in the US, as I think they are the only hybrid manufactured with the DCQC port. Corrections welcomed if I am wrong.

Quickchargers are not all free here in the USA. Looking at the charger map there appears to be a mix of free and paid chargers.

And in fact, Blink just e-mailed that they're about to start implementing fees of $5.00 USD per session (for Blink members), though they don't elaborate on what a "session" is. My guess is <= 30 minutes.

From their e-mail:
As of June 10, we’ll be adding Blink DC Fast Chargers to our membership plans. All Blink members will be able to fast charge at an introductory rate of just $5 per session. Guests may also charge for $8 per fast charge.
I really wish the providers would start charging per kWh delivered rather than by time. I mean, what if you just need a 5-minute "top off charge" to get where you're going?

I've always thought the fuel economy of Outlander PHEV to be incredible. What do the forum members think?

Back