Odd charging behaviour

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoca

When charging my 2018 PHEV (Canada) with a Level 2 (Juicebox EVSE 40A) I’m seeing a strange behaviour.

Juicebox lets me see the charging power on a graph. For every charge, it starts at off at full charging power around 3.3kW (14A @240V) but for every charge at some point the power dips down below 1kW for around 10min and then returns to full power. And towards the end of the charge I see the expected taper as it reaches full capacity.

I’m trying to attach an image of an example charge to show the behaviour. Does anyone know if this is typical of the PHEV? Are others seeing this?

I do not see this behaviour when charging my Volt with the same Juicebox EVSE.

Thanks!

Attachments

• D00D4136-AC44-43EE-953B-7D90604F39A5.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 130
There's a guy who posts a lot on youtube with a channel called Unplugged EV and I recall in one of his videos he referred to charging being interrupted by some kind of battery cell balancing cycle.

ThudnBlundr said:
I have seen others report this, though I can't remember if it was on here or on Facebook. So it is common, though I'm afraid that I can't remember if there was an explanation :oops:

Thanks. Is the Facebook group fairly active?

Hi,
I see the same happening with the “brick” charger, 10 amps 220 volts, as I get this info from my eenergy manager from the solar and battery installation.
I guess it’s the BMC, regulating and optimizing the battery.
I can see the same happening with the charging cycle of my solar home battery system.

Hope this helps

Mine does the same thing almost any time I am charging.

I attached one example of my car plugged into a ChargePoint station.

Attachments

• 9B8C9019-D57E-4849-A3F9-8A6E21029FA4.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 79
Mine does something similar but my dip doesn't come back up under a lot later. It bothers me a lot because I expect it to get fully charge faster but it dipped and stopped on its own and had to wait before it comes back up. Is there a solution to this?

Attachments

• 20191119_190956.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 45
It is a balancing of the battery and I suspect the algorithm that controls the charge takes a number of parameters into consideration - at a guess including battery temperature and resistance, which would explain the variation seen here.

it happens like almost every time when I try to charge the car, I guess I should spare more time for the car charging as it is charging way slower than my Nissan Leaf.

Really? The Nissan Leaf takes 6 hours @ 16A/240V, The Mitsubishi PHEV 3 1/2 @ 16A/240V.

https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/nissan/2018/leaf

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outlander-phev/2020/specifications

Back