outlander PHEV routine maintenance

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisv

I bought a 2015 plate outlander PHEV in Feb 2019 from a Mitsubishi dealer in London
At the time I was told about a deal for 3 annual services for £599, but not that I had to take in on the spot or loose it
6 months later a service is now due and the Mitsubishi dealer have refused to offer me the £599 deal and have quoted £427 for a four year service (30,000 miles on the clock)

Is £427 a reasonable fee for this?
Are they right to refuse me the £599 deal?
Can I get the deal from another dealer?
If I go to an independent garage what happens to my warranty?
Thanks
Chris

I suspect that such deals are offered at sale, but not at a later point in time. The price quoted appears to me to be in the usual range, albeit on the high side. Does it include oil, spares, etc.? Don't be tempted to go for an el-cheapo non-Mitsubishi service. These cars are only partly mechanical, 50% is electrical/digital. The service also includes digital maintenance, which only authorized dealers can do. Many third-party workshops will refuse to take the car in for that reason.
Any warranty left will be lost if the car is not serviced to the official schedule, which means, in this case, by an authorized service.

I think most non-Mitsubishi outfits would refuse to carry out a service. There are just too many lethal parts 'under the hood', if the power system hasn't been properly made safe.

I'm going to be charged £600 next week for my 5th annual service after 40k by my dealer - oh, and £500 for a new door mirror unit. :lol:

From the manual, you only need oil change every 7.5k miles, air filter and cabin AC filter every 15k or so miles. Brake fluid service at 45k. coolant service at 60k. The rest are just checking. I changed the 2 filters myself with dealer parts & it took about 10 min. OIL change at dealer in LA costs $50.

jaapv said:
I suspect that such deals are offered at sale, but not at a later point in time. The price quoted appears to me to be in the usual range, albeit on the high side. Does it include oil, spares, etc.? Don't be tempted to go for an el-cheapo non-Mitsubishi service. These cars are only partly mechanical, 50% is electrical/digital. The service also includes digital maintenance, which only authorized dealers can do. Many third-party workshops will refuse to take the car in for that reason.
Any warranty left will be lost if the car is not serviced to the official schedule, which means, in this case, by an authorized service.

There is no "digital maintenance"... the actual work to be performed at each service is easily done by any competent workshop and is in fact very basic as shown in the service schedule. Not sure how they justify the money they charge for this (actually I am sure the really can't).
The only thing an independent shop would not have access to is software updates.... but in my experience they don't happen at the dealer either. If there is a critical update required, it should be recall, as it happened here once. Here in Australia they can't void the warranty, as long as the work is done by a licensed mechanic.

HHL said:
jaapv said:

There is no "digital maintenance"... the actual work to be performed at each service is easily done by any competent workshop and is in fact very basic as shown in the service schedule. Not sure how they justify the money they charge for this (actually I am sure the really can't).
The only thing an independent shop would not have access to is software updates.... but in my experience they don't happen at the dealer either. If there is a critical update required, it should be recall, as it happened here once. Here in Australia they can't void the warranty, as long as the work is done by a licensed mechanic.
The car is linked up to the computer network, the logbooks are downloaded and analyzed, errors found will be rectified, updates and bug fixes will be installed. If your dealer does not do that, he is not doing his work properly.
Anyway, as I said, untrained third-party services will usually not even touch PHEV and EV vehicles for the high-voltage environment. In fact, in our country (and probably the EU) they are even prohibited from doing so by Health and Safety rules.

jaapv said:
Anyway, as I said, untrained third-party services will usually not even touch PHEV and EV vehicles for the high-voltage environment. In fact, in our country (and probably the EU) they are even prohibited from doing so by Health and Safety rules.
Any mechanic can be trained for working on high voltage electrical vehicles (NEN 9140 certificate in the Netherlands). When a third party mechanic is trained accordingly, he/she can work on the high voltage electrics of an Outlander (or any other high voltage electrical vehicle). As the costs of this training are low (starting at €315), many workshops train one or more mechanics, unless they have a completely different focus (e.g. classic cars).

There is no legal requirement for this training to work on the mechanical- or low voltage electrical parts of an Outlander (any mechanic can change the oil, fit new brakepads or change a tire without this certificate).

Not all Mitsubishi dealers are actually qualified to work on the high voltage system, a limited number of dealers have been selected, trained and equipped. All Mitsubishi dealers can perform a regular service though.

chrisv said:
I bought a 2015 plate outlander PHEV in Feb 2019 from a Mitsubishi dealer in London
At the time I was told about a deal for 3 annual services for £599, but not that I had to take in on the spot or loose it
6 months later a service is now due and the Mitsubishi dealer have refused to offer me the £599 deal and have quoted £427 for a four year service (30,000 miles on the clock)

Is £427 a reasonable fee for this?
Are they right to refuse me the £599 deal?
Can I get the deal from another dealer?
If I go to an independent garage what happens to my warranty?
Thanks
Chris
Chris it seems to me that you are better off with the second deal anyway or am I missing something

Back