Watchdog app

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbo

Hi all

Was considering having a look at the watchdog app just out of curiosity.
Will any ODB2 Bluetooth connector work or is there a special one for the PHEV?
Anyone purchased one that works? If so make / model no would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Nibbo - if you go to their website (www.phevwatchdog.net) they have a list of OBD2 readers which they've found has worked.

I went for the Vgate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D8SYXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but there are others (as you will see), and I've not had any issues.

Cheers

Bloggsy

whats people's experience of dealers letting you plug it in?

is the only way to easily get the battery SOH?

I didn't find out about Watchdog until after I'd bought my PHEV.
But I wouldn't buy another PHEV without first looking at the SOH.
I'd say I was very interested in the car, but wouldn't commit until I'd plugged in an ODB2 device.
If they wouldn't agree I'd consider they were hiding something, and I'd walk away.

Bloggsy said:
Hi Nibbo - if you go to their website (http://www.phevwatchdog.net) they have a list of OBD2 readers which they've found has worked.

I went for the Vgate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D8SYXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but there are others (as you will see), and I've not had any issues.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks for the links Bloggsy, I have ordered the same device.

Hi,
I am looking into buying a Outlander PHEV in June, does the Watchdog App only work with Androids or will it work with the Apple iPhone 6

I bought a Vgate icar Pro BT3.0

It has very low power consumption 2.7mA so can left plugged in, and it auto shuts off.

AlexBorro said:
Is there any table for expected SOH x Mileage/Age?

No, because it depends massively on how the battery has been treated. There are many factors, but charging is a major one. Lots of rapid Chademo charges, with topping up to 100% afterwards for example will reduce its life. Nice slow 10A (granny) or 16A (Type 1) once a day after the battery has cooled down and it'll last a long time. Lithium batteries like most other types only have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles, so if you drive long distances mainly on petrol (ie 'self-charging hybrid') then it'll last longer than if you only drive in a city and charge it at each end of the trip.

For example, my 2015 pre-facelift GX4h is on about 64,500 miles (103,000km) and has a SOH of 94%. At this time of year if I don't use the heater I usually get 24 miles EV range showing after a charge, and achieve maybe 22-23 miles in reality (though that depends a lot on how I accelerate away from junctions or whether I have to overtake anything!). I've seen newer cars with far lower SOH, as they've been driven harder and had more charges.

AlexBorro said:
Is there any table for expected SOH x Mileage/Age?

No, because it depends massively on how the battery has been treated. There are many factors, but charging is a major one. Lots of rapid Chademo charges, with topping up to 100% afterwards for example will reduce its life. Nice slow 10A (granny) or 16A (Type 1) once a day after the battery has cooled down and it'll last a long time. Lithium batteries like most other types only have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles, so if you drive long distances mainly on petrol (ie 'self-charging hybrid') then it'll last longer than if you only drive in a city and charge it at each end of the trip.

For example, my 2015 pre-facelift GX4h is on about 64,500 miles (103,000km) and has a SOH of 94%. At this time of year if I don't use the heater I usually get 24 miles EV range showing after a charge, and achieve maybe 22-23 miles in reality (though that depends a lot on how I accelerate away from junctions or whether I have to overtake anything!). I've seen newer cars with far lower SOH, as they've been driven harder and had more charges.

Back