Any experience with Phev on Marine Slipways and Towing?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcollisprivate

Im almost set to purchase a used PHEV (2016-2017).

I have checked off all the boxes except one, towing and launching me boat.
The boat on trailer is apx 1300kg which I know is covered under the 1500kg limit (6m long, dual axle)
However slipways being at an incline tend to put more weight and ball weight when launching recovering.
Let alone the Seaweed on the slipway.

I currently have a Diesel Turbo Kia Sorento (apx 197BHP) which makes life a breeze. Its 4x4 lock means seaweed doesn't cause an issue either.

Ive seen some YouTube vids that show 4X4 test on rollers not go very well for the PHEV but Id like to get an answer from people who actually use the SUV.

Thanks
Martin

Thanks Jaapv.

Any posts you could direct me to, as Im new to the forum?

How problematic is the traction control issue (guess you mean free wheel spinning etc).

Id heard that its because the people in the YouTube tests where not driving it correctly and assume its runs like a Diesel Diff locked 4X4....
I.e. When the PHEV gets a wheel spin, you should not back off the gas (electric) and keep you foot as is, and the computer works out the rest. Is this true or simply not worth the risk of going in the drink with your boat?

Thanks in advance
Martin

PS: Ive seen the article about the Outlander PHEV that slipped backward on the slipway, but I understand that he simply didnt have the hand break on / left in gear. Hmmm... can you leave a PHEV in gear and off?

I have a boat/trailer combo similar to yours and have no problems launching the boat or hauling it out. I always block the back tires to reduce the risk of the car sliding down the ramp (with a couple of 2x4 lumber cut-offs). On haul-out the engine will start because, presumably, the battery can't alone deliver enough energy to the motors when under load. But the car takes care of that automatically, so no drama. I always engage the 4x4 lock on haul-out.

mcollisprivate said:
Any posts you could direct me to, as Im new to the forum?

How problematic is the traction control issue (guess you mean free wheel spinning etc).

Hi Martin, I tried to explain this problem in this topic:

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53283#p53283

Maybe it is useful for you.

Cheers.

Alex.

Be careful of this happening when launching your boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nB7fzyU02o

Although reports say he was only using the auto-hold function, rather than the parking brake. Apparently, a few hours later, the vehicle caught fire.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5287301/we-can-not-keep-up-port-moody-firefighters-call-for-more-training-after-electric-vehicle-fire/

Unfortunately, firing up the ICE doesn't help, because until you get up to around 45mph it is merely driving the generator to replenish the drain on the battery, so you are limited to the power output of the electric motors. In addition, in common with other EV drive trains, they don't perform well from a standing start - it can't mount a kerb for example, if resting against it.

So you often need to take a run at the slope/obstacle and once moving it can tackle very steep slopes - I've seen footage from Japan of 45 degrees! The problem that people have had on slipways is not having the luxury of being able to back up to do this. :eek:

4x4 'lock' on the PHEV also just means that both axles will be powered by the electric motors, there are no physical diff locks either front to rear or side to side.

Back