Charging Options

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa770

Hello all, I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for the help...I currently have a Tesla, I use a 220 50 AMP plug and it goes directly to the Car. I just bought a PHEV 2019, and have been charging it with 110 volts with the charging unit it came with. I just installed another 220 50 amp plug yesterday for more efficient and quicker charging. I called Mitsubishi, and they said they do not make a plug for the car. I have two questions below....thanks again...

1) Does anyone know of a unit that I can just plug into just one of the 50 amp plugs that will use an adapter for both the Tesla and the PHEV
2) Since Mitsubishi does not make a 220 charging unit, does anyone have a good recommendation of one they use...

Just about any level 2 (220 volt) charging unit will work. They may be faster, but not necessarily more efficient.

You really don't need, and the Outlander is not really designed for, fully utilizing a 50 amp rated outlet. The battery is just to small to support a need for that.

50 amps is for those power sucking Teslas. :D

to clairfy above comment, the onboard charger in the PHEV limits the maximum charge to around 3000 watts. Thus the maximum amp pull from the wall at 220 volt is about 16. There are multiple 220 volt chargers available, some rated at 16 amps (just enough to meet full max'm imput), some at 32 amps, which the cars onboard charger will limit to around 16 max. I installed a 20 amp 220 volt in my garage, and bought a 16 amp Duosida brand off Amazon I think. It will charge at max 16 amps using either 220 volt, or 125 volt with an included adapter. I still use the OEM charger most of the time for nighttime charging. but when needing a quick recharge use the 220 volt, which reduces recharge time to about half of the OEM's max 12 amp rate or about1/3 of the time using the OEM at it's lower 8 amp rating.
Note that the cars onboard charger reduces the pull from maximum rated as the battery recharges. Thus even with the OEM, at 12 amps on 125, if the car is empty it will deliver about 1650-1700 watts, but this drops off as the battery recharges.

I've had the same dubiously-named charger from Amazon for about 2 years. I just about never use the supplied 110v charger which came with the car since the 220v one is hanging in the garage where I park. No problems.

I have on 2 occasions used the super-fast charger where it is free (not too many places!). It is very fast, but if you have pay for it it's probably cheaper to use gasoline.

Back