Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

When I first bought mine, it was triggering every time someone turned left in front of me. It turned out that it was in 'Country mode'.
Once I switched it to city mode, it stopped giving me false positives.

It also gave me a bit of a fright when a dust devil crossed the road and was dense enough to trigger the system.

However, on the good side...

... A driver in a four wheel drive changed lanes so aggressively that he lost control of his car.
The car spun end for end, crossed two lanes, and ended up in my lane, facing me.
The FCM triggered the brakes before I could get my foot onto the brake pedal.

I was very impressed with the system when that happened.

:D

It went wrong on me once - the car came to an emergency stop in the middle lane of the motorway without reason - fortunately the traffic was light. The dealer logged into Mitsubishi Japan who found corrupted software, reloaded and it never failed again. In general it works well, with the occasional false positive on winding roads, but never more than just the Brake warning flashing and beeping.

My UK 2015 4hs has "near" and "far" for FCM. I found that manoeuvring in tight spaces caused problems, such as when in a multi-storey car park, where you drive close to other objects before turning up/down a ramp. It was set to 'far', so I changed it to 'near' and I've had no issues in years. It still flashes up when someone occasionally pulls out in front of me, so it's working

Thanks for that. Guess it means I have one more setting to fiddle with :) Just as well in these times of travel restrictions and lock-downs ... I still have something to with the car :)

Same for me as ThudnBlundr. At least you only have to change it from far to near once and it remembers it. That and the LDW setting are about the only useful settings the sodding thing sticks with, all other user preferences have to be set during 'pre-flight checks'.

ThudnBlundr said:
Why would it do that? It has ABS and S-AWC so it should remain in control in most conditions unless you try to run it in cruise control on a slippery surface

And the Cruise control wouldnt activate in that situation as it would get wheelspin info from the ASC/ABS ecu.

So you are correct in that it wouldnt spin out of control, but in reality it would not stop either, just giving you enough control to avoid impact, or at least reduce the severity of the impact.

Back