Using PHEV as a backup generator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellobob

Just wondering how much power I could suck out of my 2020 using the 110v outlet in an emergency situation. I'm pretty sure that there is enough amperage to run my furnace ... but for how long? Has anyone done the math for a PHEV with a full tank of gas and a full charge so as to output total kWh? If I knew that number of kWh I could expect I could decide if installing an alternate input into my natural gas furnace would be worthwhile for keeping my house warm in a power failure. BTW, I see that most small gas powered generators seem to be in the 4000 to 6000 watt range, a lot more that I'd get out of the car.

There is a guy in Australia does just that. I found the clip on youtube a while back, but the channel owner is one of those who tries to operate a phev without using petrol, or connecting it to a charger.... That's just too annoying for me.
Needed a pretty serious inverter, given he was in the middle of the desert somewhere.

Don't know if this is the same one you found,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQjDi5aXTg

Not quite what I was thinking. Didn't know, though, that CHAdeMO was 2-way. Interesting. I just want to run a 110v line from the plug in the car to something in my house. But, how much juice is there in the car and how long will a tank of gasoline last if I'm using this?

Back